kari's Reviews > Torment

Torment by Lauren Kate

2207055
May 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ya
Read from January 06 to 08, 2011, read count: once and it was once too many times

** spoiler alert ** 1 1/2 stars, but I can't give half stars.
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Yep, that would certainly apply here. The covers of this book series are without a doubt, beautiful, intriguing and the best thing about the books.
So, Torment.
Who the heck is Luce? Why the heck does she matter? What the heck is the pull between Cam and Daniel? Why the heck is there a war? And when not at war, why the heck are they fighting other angel creatures? Can we get some answers to these questions? Obviously not.
Luce is such a nothing character that I find it all but impossible to believe that the fate of the entire world rests on the actions of this whiny crybaby. Miss Sophia’s words to her in Fallen are so true. “. . . you’re nothing more than what you appear to be: a stupid, selfish, ignorant, spoiled little girl who thinks the world lives or dies on whether she gets to go out with some good-looking boy at school.” Well said, Miss Sophia, well said.
Everything is drama to this girl. Everything. She picks fights with Daniel over nothing. He, like every other person at her school, mentions her stupid bleached hair and she gets defensive, for no reason or for the same reason she bleached her hair which is she doesn’t know why. He doesn’t say he doesn’t like it or that she shouldn’t have done it, he simply asks her what she did.
Asked to write home an email lying to her parents about where she is and what she's doing, she can only be brief because she's going "to lose it" if she continues to lie to them. Really? Are you kidding me? Luce lied to them about Sword and Cross, not telling them she hated it, trying to hide the bad parts of the school but now lying to them is more than she can stand?????
So, here's what I really don't get. Well, first, what the heck about Luce appeals to Daniel at all? But let's just ignore that for the moment.
These two have known each other over Luce's innumerable lifetimes, right? And she is always the same, looks the same, is the exact same personality. Do you get where I'm going with this??? So, that being the case, shouldn't Daniel know her personality? Shouldn't he know that she is a self-centered twit who can't see past what she wants to do when she wants to do it, someone who never even pauses to think of the consequences, someone who will always do the EXACT opposite of what she's told?
Then, knowing that, shouldn’t Daniel be telling her, Hey, Luce, dye your hair blond for no reason. Hey, Luce whatever you do, hang out in the scary woods as much as possible, ignore the fact that it's not permitted and just do it. Hey, Luce, if you get a suspicious type-written letter supposedly from me, don't pause to consider whether it's legitimate or not, but sneak out of school as fast as you can. And Hey, Luce, we're going to be apart a total of eighteen terribly long and horrible days, so try to find another cutie to fall for ON THE FIRST DAY because we are only eternal soulmates. And last but not least, Hey, Luce, don't worry about the fate of the world and all being tied in some unexplained way to your ridiculously childish self so try to put yourself in as much danger as you possibly can.
Why oh why oh why would Miles go after Luce? What is he really up to, what is his scheme? Luce is seen as a celebrity when she gets to Shoreline. Simply everyone, including Miles, knows her story, she’s the subject of bedtime stories, if you can believe that, yet Miles immediately pursues Luce, even though there are other girls who obviously are attracted to him. But he’s all about Luce and why, exactly? What about her appeals to him? He was all about her from day one. Why?
Luce has already learned that people she thought she could trust turned out to be the opposite. Still, she lets things go with Miles because . . . I don’t know. Because there needs to be a triangle, is the only reason I can think of. When you have an eternal soul mate, someone asking you to only wait a few days to be with him, how do you justify starting up with someone else? Not just for the eternal lover, but for this new guy you’re toying with because you have no self-control or self-awareness.
My head hurts so I’ve decided to write the synopsis and as Luce’s blog. Here we go:
Luce’s Blog
"First day as new girl at my new school, Shoreline. I miss Daniel like a physical part of myself is missing. He is everything to me. I can’t stand to be away from . . . Hold on, hottie alert. Oh, I see, this guy is the third side of my new triangle. Got it. See, Cam can no longer be the other side, being a demon and all, so I needed a new one and here he is. Yeah, yeah, I’ll only be here a few weeks and I loved Daniel, literally, forever, but if he isn’t here, I need someone else to lean on. Oh, I was confused for a second there, but I saw Miles’ sparkling eyes, bright white smile and dimples and I understood. Third side of triangle. Check
Oh, party on the beach with a bunch of people I don’t know, don’t care about and don’t plan to know since I’ll only be here temporarily. Still, leaving campus could put me in danger so count me in.
Daniel dropped by to dis my hair. How dare he?
Snuck off campus to meet Daniel, but this girl tried to shoot me with this weird silver arrow. Cam, I’m still mad at him, showed up to save my life.
Waffles with Miles. Isn’t he cute?
Yacht trip, even though I‘m supposed to stay on campus where I‘m safe. Whatever. Dawn fell overboard and I saved her.
Figured out those shadowing things, those Announcers, you can see pieces from your past life. So I went to see my past life parents, peering at them through the window and crying for no apparent reason other than I like the drama of myself.
Learned more about the Announcers and fencing, although that took up a bunch of time and lead nowhere, the fencing, not the Announcers. Hey, did y'all know you can use those shadow things for travel? It is way cool. We went to freak out, I mean, see my once-sister, Vera, in Las Vegas. Yeah, made her get all jumpy and scared, but hey, who cares how anyone but me feels anyway.
Oh, my friend, Callie who is totally unimportant to this plot and whom you hardly remember as even being my friend, is planning to come to my parent’s house for Thanksgiving which should be a good joke on her since I won’t be there. I was going to tell her I couldn’t come, but decided it would be more fun to just not show up after she traveled all the way there.
Dawn got kidnapped, but then they gave her back. Weird, huh? Oh, she kind of looked lots like me until I bleached my hair. Maybe they were after me, since everything seems to always be about me.
Even though I was afraid he might burst into flames like that Trevor guy (will I ever learn what happened with that? Oh, well, doesn’t really matter, I guess.), I let Miles kiss me. It was nice, but then I realized that Daniel had witnessed the whole thing. Wow, I just cheated on the guy who gave up Heaven for me, who has suffered through my endless lifetimes for loving me, but who cares? Miles is still cute and Daniel is totally responsible for my having to keep re-living my life. It’s all his fault, everything. I have no responsibility whatsoever. So what if I always track him down and push and push and push him, it’s still his fault, no matter how much he suffers because of it. Did I mention how cute Miles is?
Guess what? Even though I was supposed to stay on the Shoreline campus to be safe, I’ve managed to whine and pout enough that I got to go home for Thanksgiving. And everyone was there, Daniel, Arriane, Gabbe, Cam, Roland, Molly, Miles, Shelby, Callie, my parents and me. It was intense with Miles and Daniel there together and my parents who are so clueless. While they went for a walk after dinner, there was this huge battle in my backyard between these Outcasts on one side and the angels and demons on the other. The Outcasts want me, too, just like the demons and angels. I’m so popular!
Anyway, I just stepped into an Announcer when it was over, so I could have some alone time and find out about my past lives. See ya."

One last note. There is a short, short story included, an excerpt from Daniel Grigori’s journal. Now THAT was interesting and I would love to read more from his point of view. Daniel is interesting and his voice isn't complaining and angsty like Luce. This should be the story with only tiny bits of Luce tossed in. This bit works, the other 452 pages, not so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.

01/06/2011 page 93
21.0% "Why must I continue with series I don't enjoy? Why? Why? I guess I keep hoping it will get better, but sadly, no. Luce is still a most self-centered and irritating character. Puh-leez" 3 comments
01/08/2011 page 452
100.0% "I managed to finish this. That's really all there is to say."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia You... should probably read something else. I haven't even read this book and I'm avoiding it because the first one had me yelling at the characters.
In public.
On a train.
If I'm ever this stupid I hope ravens devour me.

message 2: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia As stupid as the characters.

kari Synesthesia wrote: "You... should probably read something else. I haven't even read this book and I'm avoiding it because the first one had me yelling at the characters.
In public.
On a train.
If I'm ever this stupid ..."

I have this terrible condition that makes me continue a series. I don't even like Luce, the main character. I think she's incredibly self-centered. Maybe it's just curiosity that it will get better???

message 4: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa No!!! Stop now:).

message 5: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia That is a bad condition.
You must cure it by reading better books and having someone hide the bad books and distract you.

kari Oh that is a good idea. But everyone at my house knows better than to touch my books ☺

kari Annalisa wrote: "No!!! Stop now:)."

Oh no, not going to get better? Well, then there's no hope for it.

message 8: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa you should probably just give up on this one. I understand about finishing a series because you started it. I did read the first one, but am determined not to read this one, because I couldn't stand the first.

However, I just finished the second book in the Dark Devine series by Bree Despain. What a train wreck. I am going to read the third one because it's hard to look away when you drive by a accident. Something about it just draws your attention.

message 9: by kari (last edited Jan 08, 2011 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Oh Dark Divine isn't good either? Well, I'd been considering that one and I'm not even going to start it, then. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Rebecca The books just have absolutely no integrity, along with the main characters

message 11: by kari (last edited Jan 17, 2011 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Oh Rebecca, absolutely correct. Great comment!

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose <>

If the book actually took this concept -- that the main heroine is a stupid, selfish, ignorant, spoiled little girl who thinks the world lives or died on whether or not she gets to date the hot guy -- and RAN with it (so that the heroine has to confront the TRUTH of this observation and then decide how to confront it, deal with it, and move past it), we'd have a book I'd REALLY want to read.

But it didn't, so we don't. Too bad.

message 13: by kari (last edited May 16, 2011 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Oh Rose, what a great thought. And yes, that would definitely be something worth reading instead of this drivel.