bookczuk's Reviews > Tulip Fever

Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach

Kind of a sad little book -- "the course of true love never did run smooth" proven true. I picked it up because the back cover spoke of Amsterdam in the 1630's during the height of tulipmania. And it spoke of some painters of the time, many of whom I like a great deal.

The story is several intertwined, and told from varying points of view: Wealthy Cornelis Sandvoort and his beautiful wife Sophia, their maid-servant Maria and her fishmonger lover Willem, painter Jan van Loos (who falls in love with Sophia), his apprentice Jacob and hapless servant Gerrit. I felt a bit distanced from it all, and incredibly sad for all the misfortune that seems to befall the characters. There is hope, but there is incredible sadness, too. The players seem doomed by their passions and ambitions.

I will have to go to my collection of art books, and failing that, the library, to look up more of the works of Jan van Loos. The internet didn't satisfy my curiosity. I am interested to see the paintings that helped Moggach create this story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tulip Fever.