Cheryl's Reviews > Sister Carrie

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Jan 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-50-books, classics, just-because-i-like-it
Read from January 19 to 27, 2011

I happen to think this is a lovely written book. Maybe it is because my head swirls about in a similar way, but it was just a pretty book to read. The story, however, was simply tragic. I could identify enough with more than 1 character, to feel sympathetic towards them, even if I felt, at least in part, their misery was their own doing. Someday, I think I would like to have an old book (like the edition I read) of this.

Which brings me to another matter. I tried to read this keeping in mind that this was not a common way to tell a story back when it was published. It's hard to do. I would love to have beenable to read this "Back in the day" to really grasp how different this must have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister Carrie.

01/24/2011 page 165
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Weakley I have this one on my to read shelf as well along with The Financier, and The Titan

Cheryl I looked up his books when you commented about him. This one is available through the library system fastest, so it gets to be read first.

On a side note, I picked up American Gods last night (after a wait that seemed to take forever). While I was getting it checked out, I had 3 different people talk to me about it. The libraian requested my review, the gentleman behind me said he was on the wait list for it (I told him I was going to try to finish it quickly so he gets it sooner), and another person in linesaid it was fantastic. What I liked most about the comments, were the ages of those involved. I have no idea how old the librarian is, my age I'm guessing. The guy on the wait list, I'd say early 70's, and the other guy was probably late teens, early 20's.

message 3: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Weakley Neil Gaiman is one of my favourites. I have Stardust on my tbr shelf by him but I own and have read pretty much all of his stuff by now. The Sandman series of graphic novels is incredible.

Cheryl What I've read of his, I really like. I think I'll be adding more to my reading this year.