Bronwyn Rykiert's Reviews > A Pocketful Of Silver

A Pocketful Of Silver by Anne Baker

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: family
Read in September, 2008

I love Anne Baker as an author – her books are great family stories. This story is not quite as good as the previous books that I have read though but it is still a good read.

I loved Ellie but was not so crazy about Franco, though he came around in the end.

This one starts in 1920 when Ellie Valentino is 5 years old. She is living happily with her mother Orla and her grandmother Bridie. Her mother dies after a fight with her brother Mick, but Ellie’s grandmother Bridie decides not to tell Ellie as she is so young. Ellies always wonders about the truth of what happened to her mother. She also has the friendship of the Baldini family who run a local café.

When Ellie’s grandmother dies she has to go and live with her Uncle Mick and his family who she does not like at all. By the time she is 17 she has fallen in love with Franco Baldini and they marry. Franco has lived with guilt since he was 12 when Ellie’s mother was killed as he saw them just after the fight with her brother but had never told anyone. Franco also has trouble growing up and taking on responsibilities. This is their story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pocketful Of Silver.