Chibineko's Reviews > Firespell

Firespell by Chloe Neill

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

I started this series about the same time as I did the Chicago Vampires series so it's inevitable that I would end up comparing the two. Offhand both are well written but at times Firespell just seems a little too simplistic.

The idea of elite schools, magical powers, bad guys, & similar themes is pretty easy to make work & for the most part Neill succeeds wonderfully. I liked Lily & found her to be an interesting character that should be easy for most pre-teens to relate to. Later teens to adulthood? These readers might find the characters & plot a little too simplistic at times, as if the author was a little afraid of inserting more mature themes into the book (like Lily kissing or getting overly friendly with her crush).

This series has a lot of potential & I'm already gearing up to read the next one but the author really needs to give the series a little bit of gas if it's going to beat out the oodles of competition that abounds in YA. I know this series is solidly targeted to the younger teen crowd but I can't help but feel that the older teens will feel a sense of "been there, done that, got the books on my shelf" while reading this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firespell.