Anila's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, not-for-the-sensitive
Read from March 12 to 13, 2011

There's been a lot said about this book and I don't have all that much to say, so...

I liked:
- It was not what I expected. It was extremely plot-driven with absolutely zero sex (though any scene with V'lane came close enough to almost count) and though I'm pretty sure Mac will end up with Barrons the book was not about them falling in lust. After three Nora Roberts novels, THIS IS A NICE CHANGE.
- Mac's character. She's a girly girl at times but mostly she's spunky, and her narration is fun to read.
- Meta-story. Many people write first person without thinking about who their narrator is telling the story to, but I got a strong sense that Mac was addressing someone in this book and it made everything feel more concrete.
- The mythos. Oh, it was beautiful. I was just fascinated by the tantalizing little hints Moning dropped and thought she did a wonderful job worldbuilding it.

I didn't like:
- Barrons's speech. Maybe this is just me, but he was very formal and old-worldish and then BAM! throws an f-bomb into the middle of a sentence. It threw me off a bit and didn't seem consistent.
- The writing style. Sometimes, that is. There were quite a few run-on sentences, which always bug me, and I don't think Mac could have used the word 'pretty' or some variation thereof more if she had tried.

...and that's really it. I'm not raving over it, but I liked it (more than the three stars makes it seem) and I'll read the next at bare minimum.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

03/12/2011 page 132
39.0% "Not really liking the narrative style, but I do like Mac's character. Would steal Barrons's bookstore given the chance. Have found self reaching for this book before others started earlier because, little nitpicks about style aside, it's very readable."
03/12/2011 page 280
82.0% "Two and a half hour plane ride with this book and my mother sitting next to me was going just fine until V'Lane showed up... DAMN HIM. That was kinda the most awkward moment of my life."

Ronyell Awesome review! I definitely wanted to read more of this series!