Russ's Reviews > Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, adventure, historical, novel, travel
Read from January 06 to February 06, 2011, read count: 1

Reading this book is kind of like going on a whaling voyage. It takes a long time, and can be quite difficult, but can also be rewarding if you just push through.

I started it about 8-10 years ago, but didn't get too far. So, I stopped, and figured I'd pick it up again at a later time. In 2011, that time came. I decided to give Moby Dick another shot.

This book is deep, as deep as the waters of the Pacific Ocean. It's exciting. It's boring. It's funny. It's serious. It's confusing. It makes perfect sense. It's convoluted. It's poetic. It's grand. It's frustrating.

It's a significant accomplishment in literature, no matter what you think of it.

I found that the easiest way to read Moby Dick was to just let go of anything I didn't understand or wasn't interested in, and keep pressing on. The language of this novel is thick and, frankly, a challenge. But sometimes the prose will give you little hints of poetry and describe very beautiful, peaceful images. The descriptions are really amazing. You feel like you're right there on the ship, watching the whales and the sun setting over the ocean.

I both enjoyed this book, and didn't. It's that kind of book. But I am glad I read it and didn't give up this second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick.