willaful's Reviews > Billionaire, M.D.

Billionaire, M.D. by Olivia Gates

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: info-dumping, amnesia, bye, eye-roller, got-up-my-nose, what-happened, virginity-worship, too-stupid-for-words, tiresome, snoozeville, wall-meet-book, o-f-f-s
Recommended for: no one on this planet
Read from January 05 to 06, 2011, read count: 1

You tell me -- have I shelved this sufficiently, or do I need to add an "eyes bugged out" shelf?

I can't believe this book. I just can't believe it.

First there was the overwrought writing. "The drive to get her to move, to open her eyes and look at him with those endless inky skies had been as inescapable as a black hole since they'd first had him in their focus, had been what motivated him." Admittedly this is a tense moment, with the heroine in a coma, but practically every sentence is like that. This author could use the same terms about needing to take out the garbage. Wading through all the hyperbole and metaphor was simply exhausting.

But all that was nothing compared to the Big Reveal. Imagine the single most ridiculous romance situation of all time; I'd call it a cliche but I think very few writers have ever had the balls to use it. And to see someone using it in a contemporary book, in 2010... I just can't believe it. Did I hallucinate this?

And to make it even worse... the Big Reveal had nothing to do with the suspense that had been built up in the beginning of the book. Which actually went... nowhere. The explanation for why the hero and heroine had been at daggers drawn before the book started, which I was kind of interested in finding out, completely fizzled out.

This is just a Titanic of a book. And the single most unbelievable thing about it: that this was the free book Harlequin chose to give away to readers for comment. Unless it's all some kind of test of our honesty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billionaire, M.D..

01/05/2011 page 106
55.0% "Really overwrought writing."
01/05/2011 page 134
70.0% "Oh, you are @#$#ing kidding me!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.G. (new)

D.G. LOLOLOL, Willa! I've been waiting for your review on this one because I knew it would make me laugh.

Now I want to know what's the big reveal!

message 2: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I wanna know the Big reveal too! Virgin Birth??

message 3: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A Add me to that! I want to know the Big Reveal too.

message 4: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read You can't throw out those kinds of hints and not tell Willa!

message 5: by willaful (last edited Dec 02, 2011 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

willaful Okay, since people are guessing anyway, here's what I mailed to seton:

******SPOILERS********!!!!!

(view spoiler)

message 6: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully LOLOL!!

message 7: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A LMAO! Hilarious!

message 8: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB wow! it's a miracle! haha, this sounds kind of crazy and it's not even a Presents.

message 9: by Verity (new)

Verity I'd nevah recover from a bomb...shell like that =^2

message 10: by Barks & Bites (new)

Barks & Bites What??! That's insane. Did you send them your comments yet?

willaful BarkLessWagMore wrote: "What??! That's insane. Did you send them your comments yet?"

I can't remember what I said -- but I retired as an ambassador. Life's too short.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing -- NOTHING -- I have ever read has filled me with a more burning desire to read a book than this sentence. What is this raging fire inside me? It is the need to read this book.

Unless it was that spoiler. Oh my god this could be the holy grail I have been looking for all my life. Thank you willaful, you changed a life today.

message 13: by Audrey (new)

Audrey willaful wrote: "Okay, since people are guessing anyway, here's what I mailed to seton:

******SPOILERS********!!!!!

[spoilers removed]"

Wait, what? ...huh? how? Uh, wha?