Anna's Reviews > Palestine

F 50x66
Jan 05, 11

liked it
Read in January, 2011

I read this whole book and knew the whole time that it was from the early '90s, but when I finished it and went on to reading other things about Israel and Palestine, I still felt sort of Rip Van Winkle-y -- like it was surprising that so much has changed, and also surprising (truly, simply surprising, even though that sounds like a naive word to use in both cases) that basically none of the problems have been solved. I enjoyed Edward Said's introduction mostly because it gave me the new and fun image of him as a kid sneaking comic books into class, although I got more out of reading it (his introduction) again after finishing the book.
I thought the book as a whole was pretty visually amazing. I appreciated Joe Sacco's self-deprecating/-mocking moments, even though sometimes they seemed maybe a little more removed than he probably felt at the time.
I wished there was a map at the front of the book with all the different places he visited marked on it, because even though maybe part of the point of the book was the sheer volume of suffering and the way the individual instances of it can start to seem indistinct, I think I would have liked being able to keep track of where the different refugee camps and towns (and the people he meets in them) were in relation to each other and the rest of Israel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palestine.