Chibineko's Reviews > The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

The Unwritten, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read in January, 2011

I'll admit that I was drawn into this series because of the Harry Potter similarities between the "Boy Who Lived" & the Tommy Taylor series that's so popular in the comic universe. After all, those similarities offer a solid base for some of the ideas in the series. (I know that the writer has said that Christopher Robin's more of an important figure of comparison, but the HP similarities are what people are going to notice first.)

I'm not going to bother with a synopsis so I can dive into the review for this book. First off, I really enjoyed the artwork for this volume. I've liked Gross' work in the [[ASIN:1563891875 Books of Magic]] series, so it was pretty much a safe bet that I'd enjoy his work here. The artwork manages to be both realistic & unrealistic at the same time, which suits the storyline & tone perfectly.

Story-wise, the book starts off a little slow but picks up speed as it progresses. I'm going to guess that the events in this book are merely setting the tone for things yet to come in the series. Hopefully the next book will pick it up some, as some readers might long for something (magical or non-magical) to happen or be revealed in the next book.

So far the characters are decent & I've got to admit that my curiosity is piqued. The general idea of the book really is a good one. I'm going to be getting the next volume just to see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten, Vol. 1.