Jude's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: in-my-shelf
Read from January 25 to 31, 2011

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
That call me on an on across the universe. . .
. . .Nothing’s gonna change my world.
-Lennon/McCartney.

With this words, the story of Across The Universe begins, we are taken to a whole new world, and I don’t mean this literary, I mean it in the sense of what makes a world to all of us, it being our family, friends, or the four walls keeping us safe that we call home. Across The Universe is by far one of the best sci-fi novel I have read, and in all the imaginary world, a story never felt so real, in all of the impossible, I had never seen such possibilities, and in all the secrets and lies, there had never been so much truth. I’ll start the Review:

When I got my hands on Across The Universe, I was eager to start, wondering where Beth Revis would take us, what would she show us, and whom would she allow us to meet. I’ll admit, the first 100 pages or so, where kind off slow. In this pages she introduces us to the characters and the situation, but what did kept me captivated, was the wonderful world she created, inside metal walls. The way Beth Revis describes Godspeed, was rich, enjoyable, and didn’t seemed forced at all.

In the next hundred pages (200-300) the story starts to build up, you have a more clear vision of everyone, you become suspicious, wary of everyone around you, and you start to see the truth –or at least you think you do. Believe me, you’ll never guess. And as for the last hundred pages. . . I finished in two hours, not one second, did I kept my eyes away from the pages. I was always guessing, sure I had everything solved, that I knew the truth, and every time something happened, I would look at another character with accusatory eyes and point at him as the one to blame. A few more pages, and I had another one to blame, and I would have sworn each time, that I had it right. It wasn’t until the very last pages that I saw, really saw. And Oh. My. God. I’m still speechless, my fingers fly on their own over my keyboard, searching for the appropriate words to describe it, to describe everything. I can’t. You just have to read it and see by yourselves.

The Characters: I had never sympathized with a character as much as I did with Amy and Elder. Amy was just. . . real, you know? She always saw the truth, and fought to have it, to discover it, and to share it. I’ve read a lot of books with characters like Amy, that fight for what they believe in and will do anything, at any cost to make things good, right. But they are never real. Amy was real. She was scared as hell, and still fought, she had been hurt unimaginably, and she still fought, and I really wish to one to stand in a situation like Amy, where being selfish, is easier than being good. But by doing so, you destroy the dreams of the people you most love. And Elder, future leader of the ship, who wants to do the right thing just as much as Amy, but, like any human being, quivers and doubts about his decisions. What if? He felt the temptation to quit and leave things as they were, to continue with a lifestyle he had always known, and to keep secrets, if only because its safer. But, like Amy, he discovers that the truth must be told, or at least a good part of it, no matter how hard It is, or if it means losing someone you loved. And both get into a journey where they slowly start to discover, what the truth is, and not just facts, but the meaning behind the word. Truth.

Across The Universe kept me on the edge of my seat. Wondering, heart beating, and breathless, and touched points of deep importance, that we need to keep always in our heads. Maybe I seem exaggerated, maybe a lot of you didn’t or won’t feel the same as me. But I’ll tell you this, I’d give anything, to go back just a few minutes in the past, and read the last pages again, and feel the awe I felt, and for me, that's enough.

It blew away all my expectations. A story of love, murder-mystery, unimaginable dangers, deep secrets, and breathtaking truths, Across The Universe is a must read, and must be in every bookshelf.

And the thing that rings in my head right now?. . . nothings gonna change my world. . .

01/25/2011 page 58
01/29/2011 page 140
35.0% 9 comments
show 11 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson Jude,
How is this book so far? I want to buy the book but I am not sure I will like it. I read Matched and loved that one, is it like Matched?

message 23: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude Taneesha wrote: "Jude,
How is this book so far? I want to..."

I haven't read Match yet, But well, as for Across The Universe, I think it starts a little slow, the first 100 pages are more of introducing you to the situation and showing you where the characters live. and I LOVED the way everything was described. Then you get more into the story, you start understanding a lot of things, and, right, now, I have left 100 more pages, and I'm Hooked! I'm all like, OMG! It can't be! NO NO NO.

..yeah, you get the idea ^^. I noticed you're on YABC, you should join us reading it. I'll post the discussions tomorrow :)...

I assume you're thinking that if I'm HOOKED, why am I here... Yeah, that's because I'm a slave to technology and I have to be on goodreads, my blog and Facebook every minute ^^.

Conclusion: I recommend it.

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson Jude,
Thank you for letting me know how the book is. I will go out and buy it tonight so I can read it tomorrow while I am home. Matched is awesome you have to read it. What is the name of your blog so I can read it. I have Facebook to it can be a little crazy keeping up with everything and everybody. I love to read though so I keep my aunt who is Texas up to date and we exchange books to read.

Thanks for the recommendation!

message 21: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Discussions will be posted somewhere in here ^^:
The Young Adult Club

And as for my blog, I'm still figuring out so, Under Construction. But I make Reviews for this Awesome Blog:
The Secret Life Of An Avid Reader

I'll try to post my review latter today, but if not Tomorrow for sure the Across The Universe Review will be up.

Just Added Match to my to read list... and your-welcome :)

message 20: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude Taneesha wrote: "Jude,
Thank you for letting..."

PS: I LOVE your photo... stark's just....sigh

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson I so love Stark! I have a close friend who is so HEAVENLY! He reminds me of Stark so much so I showed him this picture and he chuckled because he looks just like the picture except for his stunning green eyes and blonde hair. I am going to check out the blog you gave me and have fun reading Match. I read it all night because I could not out it down and I kept thinking OMG...OMG... is this really happening. Enjoy and Happy Reading!

message 18: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude Taneesha wrote: "I so love Stark! I have a close friend who is so HEAVENLY! He reminds me of Stark so much so I showed..."

Thank You!, BTW: is your friend single?? xD!!!

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson Yes he is! hahaha he is focusing on school and then he said he is going to settle down. His parents are crazy kamakazie parents where they stress education first and then fun and girls go under the fun department. I think the only reason why they like me is because I 15 years older than him and have three kids! hahaha plus his mother is a tough act to follow so I could never like him like that. God bless the woman he does chose!!! hahaha

message 16: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude LOL xD! Indeed. who knows?, maybe he'll become and actor, they'll be making a movie of the books soon. We'll be first in line, swooning... ^^

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson haha yes we will!!!!!!!!!!

Melannie :) I love your review, you pointed out everything I wanted to say after reading the book, and I felt the same emotions, you did a job a lot better than me at describing that.

message 13: by Jude (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude Melannie wrote: "I love your review, you pointed out everything I wanted to say after reading the book, and I felt the same emotions, you did..."

This is completely Ironical, considering I am a HUGE fan of your reviews xD!! I've read almost all of'em, I think you have such an amazing writing style, your reviews always seem so... natural is the word I think ^^

But Thank You :)

Melannie :) really?
well thank you, but I don't know what you're talking about hhaha, my reviews are basically me babbling about how much I liked a book,
unlike you, who really has a way with words, this review is perfection!

message 11: by Jude (last edited Feb 23, 2011 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jude Melannie wrote: "really?
well thank you, but I don't know what you're talking aboutv..."

LOL ^^, but seriously, I LOVE your reviews..... You really live in Mexico??? 'cause I do... and It's rare yo find people who read there... much less in English?? O.o

Melannie :) yeah I do,
and oh my gosh I know!!!!!!
In my whole life (18 boring years) I've met the incredibly pathetic number of ONE person that likes to read, and in english!

and if you want to read good stuff, you have no choice but to read in english, since there's not a lot of translated books, and when they are, translation always sucks

Jude Melannie wrote: "yeah I do,
and oh my gosh..."

I KNOW!!! I learned to read in English about two years ago... just to keep reading, I assume you leave in Frontier? 'Cause if not I can't imagine how you get books... If you live in Tijuana I'm gonna be real exited, it would mean I'm not the only "Freak" in the city....

Melannie :) Noo ):
I'm far from you, I live in Monterrey, it is not exactly near the border, it's about 3/4 hours away, but I go a lot anyway,
it would be cool if we would have lived in the same city, we could have met hhaha

I started reading in english about 3 r 4 years ago, I can't remember but it was when the whole 'influenza' thing came, and we were all forced to stay at home

Jude Melannie wrote: "Noo ):
I'm far from..."

Yeah, I remember those days, NO SCHOOL... and I spend those day in my house doing.... nothing... God, how did I survived without books for so long? xD

Jude Melannie wrote: "Noo ):
I'm far from you, I live in Monterrey, it is not exactly near..."

Seriously though, I check your reviews to see if you've read the book I want to buy, and according to what you say, I buy it. and know knowing your Mexican, Dang, I'm you #1 Fan :D! (not creepy style fan... normal fan... whatever that means ^^)

Melannie :) hahahaa aw, thanks!
I'm honored! and I'm glad I 'met' you,
it's not so often you found a mexican that is as cool as you, reading all those books and writing amazing reviews (:

I'm checking http://www.thesecretlifeofanavidreade... right now,

Jude ^^ Thanks! :D

Anna I liked how Across the Universe was accessible to people who aren't fans of hardcore sci-fi as well. I guess it is more of a 'soft' sci-fi, but I like those best. I was wondering if you know of any books that are similar to Across the Universe? I'm a bit at a loss now, about what to read. And please, not The Host - I've tried that one already =)

Jude Anna wrote: "I liked how Across the Universe was accessible..."

Well, as similar to The Host and Across The Universe I'm not so sure what to recommend. Maybe Incarceron? Though I have not read that one yet. I'm currently on Delirium, and I've been loving it so far, I think the story line is great, and that if you liked Across The Universe, you'll like Delirium as well.

Hope I helped :)

Anna Jude wrote: "Anna wrote: "I liked how Across the Universe was accessible..."

Thanks! Delirium sounds good, I'll check it out. And as for The Host, I pretty much gave up a little more than halfway through, it didn't really work for me although I like it better than Twilight =)