Jennifer's Reviews > Anastasia's Secret

Anastasia's Secret by Susanne Dunlap

Jan 05, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from January 05 to 11, 2011

This review was originally posted on my review blog : http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com

The story of Anastasia Romanov has always been a huge interest for me. At a young age I was introduced to the animated presentation of Anastasia from 20th Century Fox, and I fell in love. Even to this day, it is one of my favorite movies to watch. For the longest time I thought that was exactly how Anastasia's life had been, and then I grew up and learned the horrible truth of the things her family had to endure. While no one is completely sure if Anastasia had gotten away or not, I like to think that she did, and that she had a wonderful life ahead of her.

Susanne Dunlap brought Anastasia to life once again for me. Although her take on the story of the beloved Russian Princess is quite different, it is also one that you should most definitely take the time to learn. I felt like Susanne really knew first-hand about Anastasia, and she made her character very believable. I could have finished this book within a day if my internal clock were the way it used to be. Being 6 months pregnant, I tend to take a nap here and there, although most of the time I don't even realize I'm about to do it.

I really like how we learned a little about each character in this story, and their role, even if they weren't a big part of the scheme. My personal favorite was Anastasia's older sister, Maria, because despite her timidness she was always there for Anastasia, and ready to back her up if need be.

The romance between Anastasia and Sasha was a little confusing to me for a short time throughout this book. I'm sure that's how we were supposed to feel though, because we read from Anastasia's point-of-view, and she herself is quite confused in the beginning as well. I enjoyed Sasha's character through the beginning of the book, but as it wore on, and the war wore on him, he became too hard for me. I didn't always trust him throughout the book, and at times I felt like I was in the same boat as Anastasia's young brother Alexei, always waiting for Sasha to mess up and show his true colors.

I waited far too long to read this book, and am quite upset with myself for not taking the time to give it the attention that it clearly deserves. I had received this book well before the release date, and had all intentions of reading and reviewing it early, but unfortunately life took me for it's own personal spin and I was pulled away from reading anything. I'm glad that I finally was given a chance to come back to reading, and reviewing, because it has been something that I've missed for so long. I'm also glad that on my return I happened to pick up a fantastic read that I will remember for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anastasia's Secret.

01/11/2011 page 320
100.0% "Review coming soon!"