Raynak25's Reviews > Voyager

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Jan 05, 2011

Read from August 31 to September 19, 2012

I can’t possible say enough good things about Diana Gabaldon’s writing. She doesn’t spin a tale; she threads together an intricate story that entraps you right up to the last page.

The series started with Outlander. It is the story of Claire and Jamie. I suppose I would categorize it as historical romance, although that doesn’t quite encompass everything that Outlander is. Yes, it is certainly a love story with a kilt-wearing Highlander, and it’s set mostly in historic Scotland, but there’s also war, and fantasy, and ethical/religious conflicts, and comedy. It is a long book.

Voyager (#3) is also a long book; as well it should be for all the action that takes place in less than a year’s time. In it, the saga that began with Claire and Jamie in Book 1 continues, and Gabaldon again demonstrates what a clever, talented and devoted writer she is. I’ll do my best to avoid spoilers-to merely mention the main characters’ names would be a spoiler to those who’ve not finished the first two books.

Like the other books in the series so far, Voyager is a historical romance. Love is the heavy theme, and perhaps heroism, too. Both the main characters are strong, adaptable heroes, and their adventures, mishaps, and conflicts take them through four continents. The story is unpredictable, with surprises popping up everywhere to delight you. It is intimate and heartfelt. She creates unbelievable circumstances, and then makes them believable with vivid imagery and entertaining action. While the plot must have been pain-staking to craft, it flows smoothly and you can effortlessly follow along with a complex cast of characters.

I’ve noticed in her previous books that she builds up to the action, so I’ve learned to patiently enjoy the teasingly calm beginnings. Every scene, every discovery and conversation seems to have a purpose in her books, although you may not realize it until it pops up and says hi, hundreds of pages later.

The story resolves nicely, with most conflicts resolved and the promise of a brand new adventure ahead. I can’t think of a single criticism of the book, save for the number of times I had to use the dictionary. It was a sophisticated, satisfying romance that is a definite 5-star-will-read-again!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyager.

08/31/2012 "Over a thousand pages. Holy crap."
08/31/2012 page 53
5.0% "Ah, 50 pages in, and I'm fully engrossed, nearly breathless, to see what comes next. Diana Gabaldon is amazing."

Dorie This book remains my favorite of the whole series to date.