Katie's Reviews > Rescue

Rescue by Anita Shreve

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011books, anita-shreve
Read from January 05 to 09, 2011

Rescue centers around the life of EMT to EMT-P, Webster. Webster literally rescues people in his small hometown. He meets his future upon saving the love of his life, Sheila, whereupon she saves him from the mundaness of a smalltown life without a partner.

Sheila, however, is an alcoholic, and reeks havoc amid their home with their daughter. After a near-fatal accident under the influence, Webster sends his wife away to avoid prosecution. Webster spends the next sixteen years raising their daughter on his own; not knowing how to raise a girl into her teen years.

Anita Shreve's writing is so clear and fluid, that I could really imagine the character of this family and felt part of them. As my own husband is a paramedic, I connected with Webster's job and the time-requirements and stress it took from his family.

This is a beautiful novel about the hard questions in life and whether you make the right decisions or not. Ultimately, everyone enters your life at the right moment for the right reasons; love never floats away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue.