Benjamin Newland's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in January, 2011

It would have made just as much sense to review this whole story after this book, rather than at each individual installment—it really is one coherent tale. That said, Westerfeld ends as strongly as he begins, and I thoroughly enjoyed each and every page of this series. The final book meets the expectations of the first two (I bet Tally turns Special!) while also turning those expectations around surprisingly.

Perhaps my favorite feature of this story is the complexity of right and wrong on different levels. On the one hand, the city represents oppressive authority and control, while Tally and her friends fight for freedom. Yet at the same time, the city and the system it represents is ideally protective of the world in which is exists, while Tally and her rebels are almost carelessly destructive. At another level, Tally herself is conflicted, often acting both as an idealist and selfishly at the same time. These conflicts of motive and morals are wonderfully compelling.

I strongly recommend this trilogy. For concerned parents, there is a bit of kissing and a romantic subplot throughout, but nothing graphic. A few naked scenes as well, though these generally involve escaping from hospitals rather than any sexiness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary Helen Totally agree with you. Just finished the series today, and as I got closer to the end, my heart started to pound (ha, i bet my flash tattoos wouldve been spinning!). When i closed the last book, I just sat there thinking about all the different facets that it touched upon. Great series, easy and fun to read but with a breadth and depth to it, underlying the story the entire time.