A.J.'s Reviews > Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.

Six Pixels of Separation by Mitch Joel

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in December, 2010

I didn't learn a huge amount from this book, although I found myself nodding a lot as I read. It articulated a lot of thoughts that I shared, even though I might not have formulated them clearly in my mind before.

I think the biggest value of the book might be as a means of helping to convince a reluctant manager of the value of engaging in social media. With me, it was preaching to the converted. I'd be interested to see the reaction of a social media cynic to it - I'm not convinced that the arguments for engagement were strong enough to turn a non-believer around.

Although it is aimed at businesses, I would say that people working in non-profit sectors could also gain something from this book, if they're not already very familiar with the subject matter.

There was a lot of 'me, me, me' in it. I know the guy was talking about personal branding and the importance of getting your name out there, but his name (and that of his company) appeared so often in the text that I began to get irritated. Isn't having them on the cover enough?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Pixels of Separation.