Ashley Gooding's Reviews > Destined for an Early Grave

Author: Jeaniene Frost
Characters: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5
Format: e-book (on Kindle)
Source: Purchased by Myself

Book 4 in the Night Huntress Series

Description: (Author Website) Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they’ve fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it’s time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She’s having visions of a vampire named Gregor who’s more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn’t know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won’t stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who has her heart, only Cat can break Gregor’s hold over her. She’ll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she’s ever faced … even if getting that power will result in an early grave.

From My Point of View: I usually get to a point where I think, "ok, when does the series stop getting better?" I'm not getting there with this series. Each book has been the best one yet. Obviously, they're all pretty similar given they contain the same characters, but each storyline is so different that they've all been gripping and, for lack of a better word, unputdownable. (Yes, I did make that up. Can you tell?)

The storyline in the book was my favorite yet. Gregor and all his manipulative ways and fancy abilities were amazing. I hated him, of course, but he rocked. I was honestly terrified for Cat.

And there is no way I can not mention Mencheres. I have to look up his name to spell and I'm certain I can't pronounce it right, but he is so awesome. He had me laughing so hard I was crying. Which is dumb. I know. But that one line -- one line -- had me wanting to type "ROFLMAO" to anyone willing to listen. Before that, I didn't much care for him. Now I think he's one of my favorites. Even if he is a manipulative ass. I'll post the line for you here, but it's only funny in context and if you know Mencheres fairly well, so maybe you won't find it funny. I can promise if you've read the book or will read the book, you'll know exactly what I mean.

“Hey, Walks Like An Egyptian, how about for once you drop the formal stuff and talk like you live in the twenty-first century?” “The shit’s gonna splatter, start buggin’, yo,”

It's also only fair to mention I had a down right panic attack while reading this book. If it wasn't Cat jumping the gun, it was Bones. They were constantly foiling the other's plans and really frustrating me. But that wasn't what gave me the panic attack. It was the results of that. I honestly did not see them working that one out. I thought I was going to start crying again.

Oh, and Justina? Never for a single minute did I see that one coming. Talk about blindside. Cat was different. I had more or less expected that of her.

So there is my very cryptic review of book 4. I contemplated spilling the goods, but that is so unfair if you haven't read yet and I can't bring myself to do it. Just read them. You'll thank me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined for an Early Grave.

01/05/2011 page 18

Isalys Hold on for the ride that is this book...emotional rollercoaster!!!

Ashley Gooding Oh my gosh it so was! LOL. I picked it up at 10 last night, intending to read a few pages and next thing I know, it's 1:30 in the morning. =)