Mona's Reviews > Indefensible

Indefensible by Pamela Callow

Jan 05, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, thriller
Read in October, 2010

This is the book that hooked me on this writer. It's an incredible work of suspense. A must read for anyone who wants to try out the suspense/thriller/mystery genre.

******************

If you like thrillers (or even if you don’t) this is one book that should be on everyone’s TBR list! With Indefensible, Pamela Callow has managed to tap into our deepest fears.

Think about it for a minute...what do you fear most? Death? Prison? The death of someone close to you? Something bad happening your children? Human predators? Divorce? Backstabbing and betrayal at work? Whatever your fear may be, you’ll most likely find it in this book.

I loved the flawed and all too human characters. When nightmares and fear kept Kate awake at night, I sympathized with her. When former spouses, Randall and Elise, argued and fought over almost everything, I understood their anger. When their children withdrew or acted out in response, it was all too familiar. These characters are the people we read about in the newspaper every day. They are us.

Ms. Callow explores the dynamics of family and workplace, exposing the weaknesses. Just as in real life, sometimes what you see is merely illusion – a façade worn to protect a fragile ego or to hide sins better left unknown or simply to protect one’s privacy. She holds a mirror before us and the reflection isn’t pretty.

I simply couldn’t put the book down even though I was on the edge of my seat with my knees bouncing nervously and my heart pounding. I had to know how the book ended before I could sleep, but once in bed sleep wouldn’t come. The emotional toll on the characters kept playing through my mind and I found myself trying to reconcile their futures.

I try not to use any type of rating system in my reviews, but in this instance, I’m making an exception. This book rates a rare Gold Star. Make that five of them.

Book courtesy of NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indefensible.