gina's Reviews > Splendor

2023352
Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, young-adult
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** An interesting wrap up to the Luxe series. I enjoy reading books about this time period, and given my recent trip to NY the book took on a special feeling as I reminisced about some of the places they mentioned that I have actually now seen. Imagining Central Park in their time period was not that hard to do as when I saw it, it was blanketed by a heavy layer of snow and any modern marks were covered, leaving nothing but the shape of the landscape. Few cars moved (if any in that moment of the blizzard) and I thought a lot about Godberson's writing and story.

I did not like how the stories were all neatly wrapped up and everyone went on their merry way doing exactly as they should. I would have liked to have read more about Diana and not had her so quickly sever her connection to NY and her love there. After so much pain and struggle it was a bit much to just put a bow on it and say "all better now, everyones doing fine!" What? WTF? After making me suffer through all that tragedy and death and deception? It's just not the ending I would have chosen.

But, my displeasure over the path the characters took aside, Godberson's writing should be applauded. She waxes poetic several times in the book and her words drip honey on your mind. Wait, honey though does make me think of Lena's over described "bee stung lips." Jesuuuuus if I have to hear/read about her bee stung lips, stung lips, or any version thereof lips again I think I'll smash my mp3 player. We get it, her lips are stung. Okay, so that overdone description aside I really did love her writing in this last book and (the words chosen, the descriptions, not the plot endings) and would definitely give her future books a quick push to the top of my list. She's definitely talented and creative. So I can agree to disagree with her choice of endings if she can continue to be so solidly good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splendor.