Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Matilda

Matilda by Roald Dahl

I have to wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. His evil adult characters had to have come from his own nightmares. The kids always win against the grownups, though. Maybe that's why Dahl's books are so popular. Isn't it every kid's dream to get back at the big people who get to control your life just because they're big and you're little?
Some of Dahl's grownups are so absurdly cruel, it emphasizes the fact that there are a lot of adults who should not be allowed near children. (I'm thinking of Mrs. Nail, my first grade teacher. Yes, I am still bitter!)

Matilda is an extremely precocious little girl with idiotic parents. She finds hilarious ways to get back at them for treating her badly, and they're too stupid to figure out she's the culprit. When she's old enough to go to school, she encounters the headmistress known as The Trunchbull. The Trunchbull is the meanest of the mean. She's even worse than the aunts in James and the Giant Peach. She picks kids up by their hair and swings and flings them. She's so bad that I'd classify this as a YA book rather than children's.
When The Trunchbull unleashes her abuse on Matilda's class, Matilda discovers a special power that gets rid of the Trunchbull forever. Next time I see a kid staring intently at something, I'll think they're trying to move it with their eyes. I know I would have tried it constantly if I'd read this book as a child. Maybe I still will try it. One never knows...
Matilda really hits the jackpot, because she also gets to ditch her lousy parents and brother, and live happily ever after with her beloved teacher, Miss Honey.

I give this 4.5 stars, but I'm not feeling stingy enough to nitpick over half a star. Besides, it held me spellbound, so that's worth extra points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matilda.

Asra Ghouse Dahl hates bullies alright :D and I empathize with him.

I used to try moving things by staring long before I'd read this book :p When I read this a few months ago, I remembered that :D

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Asra wrote: "I used to try moving things by staring long before I'd read this book :p"

Any luck? ;-)

Asra Ghouse Only in my imaginations :D

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Now you need to read Stephen King's Firestarter so you can see what a girl could really do with her imagination.

Asra Ghouse I'll mark that as 'to-read' :)

Nicole Gardner You should read "Boy" by Roald Dahl. It's about his own childhood.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Thank you, Nicole. One of my good reads friends (who is still a boy!) read that one, and then I completely forgot about it. I will add it to my list right now.