Toni's Reviews > The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman

The 5-Minute Face by Carmindy

Feb 22, 08

bookshelves: makeup-and-style
Recommended for: teens, moms, makeup beginners
Read in February, 2008

Carmindy does wonderful work, most people will agree. However, tutorials aren't exactly her strong point. The pictures were beautiful, cut up lipstick makes me smile everytime. I also enjoyed the variety of models she used. Unfortunately, I have a much different take on makeup that Carmindy. I enjoyed her writing about inner-beauty, but it didn't seem much more inspiring that the usual magazine self-esteem boosts. I don't wear makeup everyday, because I don't really care what I look like. I enjoy more of the Kevin Aucoin approach. Five minutes is not relaxing, it is still rushed and serving the purpose of looking "acceptable" everyday. Why not add a little fun to your routine? When I sit down with a book to try new makeup techniques I want it to take much more than 5 minutes. Her approach would be good for teens, because it would be almost impossible to overdo any of her looks. Even the smoky eye is a bit conservative, in my opinion. If anything, Carmindy inspired me to put away the tinted gloss and go with the red lipstick, anything else would just be too boring for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5-Minute Face.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily Rodriguez I found the book to be basic, although I liked the list of products that she added. But I really didn't like the fact (although I should have expected it when thinking of her intro to the show each episode), that it was full of pictures of the makeup artist? Since when does a makeup artist fill the pages with shots of herself? Aren't we supposed to see average people and then their "after" shot. Carmindy is beautiful, but she makes it clear she is more than well aware of that and there is just something about her I don't like, trust or ... I can't explain it, seems like she's something she's not, what you see is not what you get with her, of this I feel certain.
I know, all because of her photo album for sale. I wish her the best, but I don't think she needs the support, she's achieved so much with such little air time, so she must be commended on her work ethic, that and wanting desperately to be famous.
guess it's just me, she just doesnt' seem - human like, I'll shut up now. Though I love the dresses they have her wearing now, I think she must have been pregnant before as her chest seemed quite large when usually that isn't the case, plus all the baby doll tops she'd been wearing. Maybe not.