Lisa Vegan's Reviews > A Book of Coupons

A Book of Coupons by Susie Morgenstern

Jan 06, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, novel, reviewed
Read on January 06, 2011

What a weird little book. I loved it though, mostly for its humor, and also for its refusal to follow a formula and its unconventional ending, not the ending I’d guessed was coming.

The illustrations are charming and quirky; I loved them. This isn’t really a picture book though; it’s a very short novel.

What’s strange about it was that is was published in French in 1999 and then translated to English in 2001. Computers are talked about, which makes sense. But green stamps (from my childhood!) are present too, yet they disappeared in the 1980s. It was peculiar to read about things that didn’t fit the time period. But it was written for French children who probably weren’t familiar with green stamps anyway.

I loved this unconventional fifth grade teacher and his students. I also had a fifth grade teacher who also was innovative and special, and I did think about him as I was reading this story.

I picked this up from the library today, even though I didn’t need yet another book to read this month, because it was on a featured shelf, one full of books that are staff favorites. I’d never heard of it but the premise intrigued me, and I’m really glad that I read it.

A very, very quick read, taking not much more time than it does to read the average picture book, or at least it felt that way.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Book of Coupons.

01/06/2011 page 1
2.0% "I didn't need another book to read this month. (I have 8 or 9 more to go, not including picture books.) But this is so very short and it was on the library shelf of staff favorites, and I couldn't resist. I should be able to finish this tomorrow, whether I start it tonight or wait until tomorrow, so it's my next book."

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn This sounds so quirky and fun! I'm requesting it from the library :-)

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, I think that you'll enjoy it.