Slayermel's Reviews > Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: library, 2011, 20th-century, animals, graphic-novels, history, male-authors, non-fiction, religion, true-crime, war, young-adult, biography, series, swedish
Recommended for: anyone
Read from January 09 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

I always wanted to read “Maus” but was not sure exactly what to expect in the writing style of it. Having lived in Germany for eight and a half years growing up I’m quite familiar with the history, but was not sure how such a sad and horrible past could be done justice in a graphic novel. I have to say that Art Spiegelman accomplished what I thought was not possible.

I love how he used animal characters as a visual to differentiate between the Nazis, Poles and Jewish citizens. He managed to get the feel of despair and terror across in his pages as well as the guilt and helplessness of the friends of the Jewish people who where to scared to help them.

The fact that the story is a memoir is not lost on the reader. I love that it shows the relationship between Art and his father and how strained it was and really the lack of understanding between the two generations. It really does show how much we take for granted some times.

I cannot wait to read the second half, to find out how Art’s father managed to survive the concentration camps to be able to tell his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maus.