Kristi's Reviews > A Corner of the Universe

A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Jan 05, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, newbery

** spoiler alert ** I was so excited when I started reading this book. I loved finding a strong female character to encourage my daughter and other girls her age (5th grade at the time). Hattie's struggle to be herself while also yearning to fit in is such a classic and important issue for pre-teen girls, and finding it shared in a touching and beautifully-written way was wonderful to see. When Adam came along, I enjoyed seeing how the family dealt with him and felt it added depth to the book. I felt that Adam's mental issues and the subsequent family reactions to him were handled honestly and accurately. However, when Adam commits suicide (even though I felt it was a wonderful addition to the plot as a reader) as a mother and teacher I questioned who I could share this book with. I know I'm not ready to share this with my fifth grade daugther, and I'm not sure what "youth" audience to recommend this to because of the emotionally-wrenching ending to the book. I don't know what kids I want to expose to that level of grief, but I'd love to share the rest of the book with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of the Universe.

Peter Ippel This was my reaction exactly about the suicide aspect. I think that fact that Hattie seems to condone it as an okay response to Adam's challenges makes it even harder to recommend. I think if Hattie had had a different reaction, it would have made it easier to share with children.

message 2: by Mayu (new)

Mayu I'm Japanese middle school but it is a really good book for children too. I'm sure your daughter would love to read them.