Slayermel's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: library, 2011, 20th-century, english, fantasy, favorites, graphic-novels, horror, male-authors, neil-gaiman, paranormal, series, suspense, witches-wizards
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys graphic novels written for adults
Read from March 12 to 13, 2011, read count: 1

This is the first in the Sandman series and I have to say I just loved it. I was very surprised to see cross over’s from other favourite characters, such as Batman and Jonathan Crane. That was very exciting for me. It is also very refreshing to read such an adult Graphic novel. Neil Gaiman’s imagination never ceases to amaze me.

This is the story of Dream aka the Sandman, he is captured and enclosed in a glass prison by a wizard looking to prolong his life, and you see the wizard was actually hoping to capture Death. The wizard stripes Dream of his tools which he needs to rule the dream world therefore making it impossible for him to escape. While Dream is locked up, The Dream world falls into shambles and causes all sorts of chaos. The tools fall into Mortal hands which they were never intended too, as mortals cannot handle the pure power of the tools without sinking into madness and what follows is a series of horrific tales. After years of captivity, and countless deaths Dream is finally free and has to regain not only his tools, but right all the wrong that has taken place in his absence.

I will definitely be continuing this series, and I have to say even though I just glimpsed her for a little while I want to read and Death more, I really took a liking to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.

03/12/2011