Julie's Reviews > The Tudor Secret

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: fiction, tudor, vine, own
Read from February 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Taking place during a very tumultuous time in Tudor history, this novel explores the intrigue surrounding Edward VI’s death, the brief reign of Jane Grey, and Mary’s success obtaining her rightful throne. What is unusual about this novel is its male perspective, told from Brendan Prescott’s first person point of view; most Tudor novels I have read are gauged more toward a feminine reader. Brendan is sent to court by his masters the Dudleys, and within an hour, the presence of this inexperienced and insignificant squire is noticed. He is beset on all sides by parties who would use his position to spy, persuade, flatter and detect. Cecil, Walsingham, the Dudleys, the Duchess of Suffolk and Elizabeth all insist on Brendan’s cooperation to achieve their own ambitions. Brendan quickly realizes that his involvement has more to do with his own unknown history than any mere coincidence.

I understand that the author took liberties with some of the conspiratorial aspects of the plot, which he addresses in his author’s note. There were, however, some inaccuracies and inconsistencies that stuck out to me as a Tudor aficionado, but not enough to detract from the overall story. It was fast-paced and full of deception. The implications made about the involvement of certain figures in these schemes were entertaining, the historical characters were portrayed well, and the depiction time period was authentic.

I recieved a complimentary copy of this book via the Amazon Vine program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudor Secret.

02/09/2011 page 172