Kyle's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

M 50x66
Dec 12, 11

Read from January 05 to December 03, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but I have a serious issue with books about faeries. I loathed the Iron King very deeply, and this was almost just as horrendous, except in the end, I don't think it got quite to the level of annoyance that The Iron King brought me to. I bought this very early on into the year, and I found myself bored after the first five pages, so I just let it sit on my Kindle for another eight months, until I tried reading it during my birthday/vacation the same day I couldn't get into Maggie Stiefvater's "Lament" (SURPRISE! ANOTHER FAERIE BOOK!) after 15% of annoyance, so I read the first 15% of this.

However, back in the beginning of this month, I sat down, and said, "Kyle, just get it over with and you never even have to think about it again." So, I sat down and basically devoured the entire thing in a few hours. An extremely unpleasant experience, one that I would not want to re-live, nor do I plan on it.

So, for a basic synopsis of this book, it follows a boy named Malcolm “Mackie” Doyle, who lives in the small, depressing town of Gentry. He’s a “normal” kid who has three good friends, and a crush on a popular girl, who is starting to notice him. Soon, the reader finds out that Mackie isn’t exactly . . . human. The real Mackie was switched before he was a year old, and was then replaced by a changeling, who is our main character. So, it turns out Mackie (our narrator Mackie) is a faerie.

Now, very rarely do I have problems with the setting of a novel. Normally, it’s just not something I care for, unless it’s something like Prague and the Otherworld from Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone or Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, because those settings are interesting and unique. The small town of Gentry was neither interesting nor unique, but was dreary and boring. In fact, it reminds me a lot of my negative feelings towards Gatlin, South Carolina from Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl (my current read at the moment). The reason these stand out so much is because the author, Brenna Yovanoff, seem to put an emphasis on the boringness of it all. Well, if the setting of a novel can make me bored, that’s typically not a good sign for me.

The characters themselves were just as boring and flat as the town they live in. Mackie is boring, and has to be coaxed into doing anything interesting or exciting. Tate was all headstrong, but really doesn’t do anything until the end (well, she did more than Mackie). The Cutter – a wimpy excuse for a villain, seeing that he did nothing and subsequently got beat up by a sixteen year old and then gave up. Everybody else was just boring, and not even worth being mentioned in this review.

The writing itself I have no comment on, since while I’m an aspiring writer, I’m not necessarily any good. However, something about the writing kind of bored me to. Not to say that it was bad, but nothing to add a little spice to it, you know? In the book I’m writing, my main female protagonist, Carly, is a fourteen year old girl who was raped and now has a six-month old child, and starts out really depressed, then the whole supernatural part comes in, and slowly she opens up more and gets this really sassy, funny (to me anyway) voice. Mackie is just really boring and monotone. Anybody else feel that way?

Overall, just so I don’t become too repetitive, this book just bored me and made me want to take a long nap. Plus, that ending (as in, the last page ending) was so happily ever after, that it made me want to throw up – don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind endings with happiness in them, but for the kind of atmosphere Brenna Yovanoff set up in the novel, you’d expect a much darker tone to it.

Anyway, 2/5 stars for The Replacement. Nothing special, and I wouldn’t recommend it . . . to anyone really. However, I do want to check out her new novel, because . . . well it has demons (I think), and I’m kind of partial to angel/fallen angel/demon novels.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

11/26/2011 page 78