Smash's Reviews > Logic of Demons: The Quest for Nadine's Soul

Logic of Demons by H.A. Goodman

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, read-2011, review-request-complete
Read from January 26 to February 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Check out this review over at Smash Attack Reads: http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/...

I really enjoyed the premise of this book. There are sociological, religious, and political themes. The story revolves around justice, the human condition and free will, how the choices we make always have consequences. Great concepts to be explored, for sure.

Devin is sent to The Company after he falls trap to his feelings about his wife’s murder and takes justice into his own hands. Apparently, he’s applied for a Sales position, unbeknownst to him. As you can easily guess, The Company is Hell and The Boss is Satan. His job? To sell The Formula, aka Revenge. Retaliation. Retribution.

Devin was not a very interesting character, to me. It’s easy to understand where he’s coming from, but it’s not easy to relate to the experience or his choice. And his naivety was annoying. However, I did enjoy his progression throughout the story, though I never saw him as “evil” to begin with. The poor guy is thrust into the war between Good and Evil, lied to, tricked, physically and mentally tortured, yet he presses forward, albeit mostly for selfish goals.

At first, the introduction to Nadine bothered me, even though it’s done in a creative fashion that really ties into the entire book. However, later on the creativity of that transition and subsequent ones really interested me. Nadine’s a creative soul and I found her imagination amazing! She’s in an ugly spot due to certain experiences and is overwhelmed with grief and depression. Drawing anime was a catharsis for her. I found her to be the best part about the book and she wasn’t in it enough, even though the story revolved around her. I would’ve like some more insight into Nadine via her own eyes, and not everyone else’s thoughts.

Natalia, an Angel who is watching over Nadine, wants him to witness firsthand what The Formula does. She is trying to prove to Devin that he is being played and is working for the wrong team. So she transports him back in time to Rwanda where he has to witness the carnage of the genocide that took place there in 1994. [This scene fueled my passion for human rights advocacy all over again. I was an anti-genocide advocate during my undergrad, and Rwanda holds a dear place in my heart. The genocide that occurred there in 1994 and the movie made about it, Hotel Rwanda, is what shaped my ambitions. During my undergrad, I wrote many papers on the genocide and the inaction of the world. I will adopt a child from that country one day.]

The plot was interesting but after the Paladin entered the story, it all went downhill for me. I did not enjoy any part of their involvement in the story. I also found the main plot regarding Nadine and her importance to be odd. The ending of the story was creative but it didn’t work for me. I just found it a bit convoluted and weird. However, as stated earlier, I enjoyed the premise and themes presented. It was definitely a thought-provoking book that made you question your values about certain issues of justice and the like. I think the author has great ideas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logic of Demons.

01/26/2011 page 46