Kate's Reviews > New Moon

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

May 23, 2007

bookshelves: library
Read in February, 2007

I tend to call Meyer's books "the one teen vampire romance series worth reading." (In my experience, at least. I'm certainly open to other suggestions.) At the end of the first book, Twilight, Bella, the main character, is finally in some semblence of a stable relationship with her vampire boyfriend, Edward, although they still face the opposition of (parts of) their families and society. New Moon picks up right where Twilight leaves off, and Bella and Edward are immediately faced with more obstacles.

Many readers didn't like this sequel - perhaps because Bella and Edward spend much of the book apart - but I loved it. We revisit the characters we grew to love in the last book and meet some new ones. I was genuinely surprised by a few plot turns that, looking back, seemed completely natural. I had one main issue with this book: at one point, someone lies to a character, and the lie is so transparent that I spent a good chunk of the book annoyed with that character for believing it. I don't want to say much more about the plot, because I highly recommend that you read these books for yourself. (Definitely start with Twilight, though. You'd miss a lot if you jumped in with New Moon.) Book three, Eclipse, comes out in August, and I can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Moon.

message 1: by Rachel (last edited May 24, 2007 04:10PM) (new)

Rachel Is this Katie from grad school? I'm spacing on your last name...anyway, I couldn't agree with you more on the lie part being annoying. (If you're a Lost fan, I have a similar bone to pick on that note with the finale.)

Actually, I have major problems with both books in this series, yet I can't put them down and I'm sure I'll end up reading the third. I see them as junk food--the whole time I'm reading them I'm thinking about how much I hate them and how I will regret having spent the time reading them later. But the thing that really drove me crazy about this one was that Jacob is a WAY cooler guy than Edward! I had accepted the fact in the first book that Bella has very few redeeming character traits (indeed, I'm as mystified as she as about why she has suddenly become the object of so much romantic attention), but it was just too much to accept that she would give up a guy as great as Jacob in favor of no-personality-velvet-voice. I'm hoping for a Jacob come back in the third.

Sorry for the rant. :). And if you're not "grad-school Katie," I'm very sorry. If you are, how are you doing?!