Margaret's Reviews > Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms & a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories

Atlantic by Simon Winchester

F 50x66
Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: didn-t-finish
Read from January 05 to 25, 2011

Oh, dear, Simon Winchester, I think you have to stop being my literary boyfriend now. Someone get this man an editor, quickly. I've never skipped over so many pages of a book before.

It's not that he hasn't dug up fascinating facts and interesting tidbits. It's just that it feels like he took all his notes on 3 x5 cards, then threw them in a pile on the floor and wrote the book like that. I'm reading an interesting description of St. Helena, and then there are poems? A passing mention of how the first people to lay undersea cables were woefully unprepared for the peaks and valleys of the ocean floor and then, somehow, we're talking about Benjamin Franklin. The ocean as a lover? Oy.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlantic.

Doug If only I had read this review before I plunged into this morass! Sigh.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Heh, I was hesitating over this at the library, but I think I'll leave it there. Thanks for the giggle.

message 3: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Vogel Perfect review. Halfway through and that's why I'm doing a rare thing and giving up on this book.

message 4: by John (new) - added it

John Nicholson Heavy going.

Jack Kelly I LOVE this book. Everything the above readers have said about the heavily-packed facts and anecdotes is true, but it's why the book is so terrific!
I've never read Simon Winchester before; now I have found a long list to enjoy!