◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: covers-to-die-for, own, favorites, books-i-fell-hard-for, kickass-protagonists
Read from June 03 to 05, 2012

OHMYGOSH. YOU GUYS.

I THINK I MAY HAVE JUST DIED.

So this won't be a long review or anything, because seeing as how this is the 5th book in the series, I've already said most of what I want in previous books' reviews. I mean, yeah, each book is different, but overall the whole series is just pure epicness. I wasn't surprised that this book was as awesome as the previous books. So most of this review will be me just spazzing off like a crazy fangirl. Enjoy!

The Good
- THOE WHOLE BOOK. That's it. Ok fine, to be more specific, the way Cassandra Clare continues the series, with even more twists and turns and shocks. Her imagination is just beyond this world. There is always a tiny part of my brain warning me not to get too hyped up for a book that I just KNOW will be good, but with this series, I just shut that tiny part of my brain off. This series can NEVER disappoint me.

- ALEC AND MAGNUS. GAH! I love these two. So much. Please let them have a happy ending. I don't think I could take it if they don't.

The Bad
- The fact that we are now one more book closer to the end of this series. WHY DAMMIT WHY?!

The In-Betweens
- I love how Cassandra Clare puts little side plots with the main plot in her books. It gives me more to look forward to. But what I'm not so happy with is the paragraph cliffhangers. Meaning one paragraph would be talking about one problem, then the next will be continuing off about another one, and it kept going back and forth like this. I even mentioned this in my review of CoFA. These paragraph cliffhangers happened way too often, and it made me think that maybe CC should've just dedicated one whole chapter to one part, and so on. I get that this makes the reader even more hooked into the stories, but I didn't like it all that much.

The Characters
- I read in some reviews that Clary annoyed others in this book. I have to disagree. She was just doing what she felt was right, even though what she did was dangerous, risky, and suicidal. But that's Clary. I mean, what would you do in her place? Sit back and take orders from everyone else? I probably would've done what Clary did as well, though maybe not as bravely. That girl has GUTS.

- JACE. Oh, Jace. This guy ever gets a break, does he? He's always being used by others. First Valentine, than Lilith, now Sebastian. But I know in the end, Jace will kick all their butts. HELL YEAH!

- I love Simon. That's not new, but it's true. Stay awesome, dude.

- We were able to see a more vulnerable side of Izzy, which surprised me. But she really needs to learn how to express herself properly. I can't even begin to count the many times I screamed at Izzy while reading, saying "JUST TELL HIM YOU LOVE HIM, IDIOT!". I'm just waiting for that moment to happen, which better be soon.

- Alec's action didn't really surprise me. He's afraid of losing Magnus so I understood what he was trying to do. But. BUT. He has the same problem as his sister - they don't know how to talk to their significant other about their feelings. I hope Alec learns this soon.

- MAGNUS! MAGNUS, MAGNUS, MAGNUS! I lub you. Yes, I meant "lub". Please don't kill me Alec.

- And, lastly, Sebastian. At first, he surprised me. He was different than when he was in CoG. Like Clary, I began to think that maybe, just maybe, he has a real heart somewhere. But now, after finishing the book, I take all that back. All I can say about Sebastian now is that he's a sick asshole. He wants to burn down the world? Oh, we'll see.

Recommended?

So, City of Heavenly Fire comes out in 2014 (I totally get the title now! HAH!).

Hmm. 2014, eh?

...

K bye, I'll go back to being dead now. I'll resurrect when CoHF comes out.

4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Quotes ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj Liked

Cassandra Clare
“He is a Shadowhunter,” said Jocelyn. “His loyalty will be to Clave and Covenant.”
“He’s my friend,” said Magnus coldly. “His loyalty is to me.”

Cassandra Clare
“I never cared,” he said. “I wanted you anyway. I always wanted you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sebastian never does anything just for fun.” Jace took Clary’s hand and pulled her toward him. “But I do.”

Cassandra Clare
“You stole a boat,” she snapped. “What am I doing with you, you boat-stealing lunatic?”

Cassandra Clare
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but you smell like Magnus.”

Cassandra Clare
“Warlock,” he said. “I know who you are.”
Magnus raised his eyebrows. “You do?”
“Magnus Bane. Destroyer of the demon Marabas. Son of—”
“Now,” said Magnus, quickly. “There’s no need to go into all of that.”
“But there is.” The demon sounded reasonable, even amused. “If it is infernal assistance you require, why not summon your father?”
Alec looked at Magnus with his mouth open.”

Cassandra Clare
“As far as I’m concerned, this is the worst thing that’s happened since I found out why Magnus was banned from Peru.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jace set what he was holding down on the windowsill and reached out to her. She came to lean against him, and his hand slid up under her t-shirt and rested caressingly, possessively, on the small of her back. He bent to kiss her, gently at first, but the gentleness went quickly and soon she was pressed up against the glass of the window, his hands at the hem of her shirt — his shirt —
“Jace.” She moved a little bit away. “I’m pretty sure people down there in the street can see us.”
“We could …” He gestured toward the bed. “Move…over there.”
She grinned. “You said that like it took you a while to come up with the idea.”
When he spoke, his voice was muffled against her neck. “What can I say, you make my thought processes slow down. Now I know what it’s like to be a normal person.”
“How … is it?” The things he was doing with his hands under the t-shirt were distracting.
“Terrible. I’m already way behind on my quota of witty comments for the day.”

Cassandra Clare
“Missing, one stunningly attractive teenage boy. Answers to 'Jace' or 'Hot Stuff”

Cassandra Clare
“He grinned. “I was trying to remember all the deadly sins the other day,” he said. “Greed,envy, gluttony, irony, pedantry…”
“I’m pretty sure irony isn’t a deadly sin.”
“I’m pretty sure it is.”
“Lust,” she said. “Lust is a deadly sin.”
“And spanking.”
“I think that falls under lust.”
“I think it should have its own category,” said Jace. “Greed, envy, gluttony, irony, pedantry, lust, and spanking.”

Cassandra Clare
“She turned and looked at him. "Ducks?" she said again.
A smile tugged the edge of his mouth. "I hate ducks. Don't know why. I just always have.”

Cassandra Clare
“He grinned. It was a wicked grin, the kind that made the blood in Clary's veins run a little faster. "You want to go on a date?"
Caught off guard, she stammered. "A wh-what?"
"A date," Jace repeated. "Often 'a boring thing you have to memorize in history class,' but in this case, 'an offering of an evening of blisteringly white-hot romance with yours truly."
"Really?" Clary was not sure what to make of this. "Blisteringly white-hot?"
"It's me," said Jace. "Watching me play Scrabble is enough to make most women swoon. Imagine if I actually put in some effort.”

Cassandra Clare
“Does she still love you?"
"I don't think so," Magnus said dryly. "She wasn't very pleasant the last time I saw her. Of course, that could be because I've got an eighteen year-old boyfriend with a stamina rune and she doesn't."
Alec sputtered. "As the person being objectified, I ... object to that description of me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you remember,” he said, “when we first met and I told you I was ninety percent sure putting a rune on you wouldn’t kill you—and you slapped me in the face and told me it was for the other ten percent?” Clary nodded.
“I always figured a demon would kill me,” he said. “A rogue Downworlder. A battle. But I realized then that I just might die if I didn’t get to kiss you, and soon.” Clary licked her dry lips. “Well, you did,” she said. “Kiss me, I mean.”
He reached up and took a curl of her hair between his fingers. He was close enough that she could feel the warmth of his body, smell his soap and skin and hair.
“Not enough,” he said, letting her hair slip through his fingers. “If I kiss you all day every day for the rest of my life, it won’t be enough.”

Cassandra Clare
“Excellent. I've been told I have a lovely, melodic reading voice." He flipped the book open to the front page, where the title was printed in ornate script. Across from it was a long dedication, the ink faded now and barely legible, though Clary could make out the signature: With hope at last, William Herondale.

Cassandra Clare
“Basia coquum," Simon said. "Or whatever their motto is."
"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy," said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook."
"Dammit," said Simon. "I knew Jace was screwing with me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Speaking of hope, did you see that shot Alec got off with his bow? That's my boyfriend.”

Cassandra Clare
“Even the trip throught the Portal had not disarranged Magnus's hair spikes. He tugged on one proudly. "Check it out", he said to Isabelle.
"Magic?"
"Hair gel. $3.99 at Ricky's.”

Cassandra Clare
“Because viewing my naked chest has caused many women to seriously injure themselves stampeding to get to me.”
tags: jace

Cassandra Clare
“What have you done to my cat?" Magnus demanded... "You drank his blood, didn't you? You said you weren't hungry!"
Simon was indignant. "I did not drink his blood. He's fine!" He poked the Chairman in the stomach. The cat yawned. "Second, you asked me if I was hungry when you were ordering pizza, so I said no, because I can't eat pizza. I was being polite."
"That doesn't get you the right to eat my cat."
"Your cat is fine!" Simon reached to pick up the tabby, who jumped indignantly to his feet and stalked off the table. "See?"
"Whatever.”

Cassandra Clare
“I was hoping they'd put up flyers like they do for lost cats," he said. "Missing, one stunningly attractive teenage boy. Answers to 'Jace' or 'Hot Stuff.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah,” said Magnus. “Nerd love. It is a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated.”

Cassandra Clare
“Isabelle snorted. 'All the boys are gay. In this truck, anyway. Well, not you, Simon.'
'You noticed' said Simon.

'I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual,' added Magnus.

'Please never say those words in front of my parents,' said Alec. 'Especially my father.'

'I thought your parents were okay with you, you know, coming out,' Simon said, leaning around Isabelle to look at Alec, who was — as he often was — scowling, and pushing his floppy dark hair out of his eyes. Aside from the occasional exchange, Simon had never talked to Alec much. He wasn’t an easy person to get to know. But, Simon admitted to himself, his own recent estrangement from his mother made him more curious about Alec’s answer than he would have been otherwise.

'My mother seems to have accepted it,' Alec said. 'But my father — no, not really. Once he asked me what I thought had turned me gay.'

Simon felt Isabelle tense next to him. 'Turned you gay?' She sounded incredulous. 'Alec, you didn’t tell me that.'

'I hope you told him you were bitten by a gay spider,' said Simon.

Magnus snorted; Isabelle looked confused. 'I’ve read Magnus’s stash of comics,' said Alec, 'so I actually know what you’re talking about' A small smile played around his mouth. 'So would that give me the proportional gayness of a spider?'

'Only if it was a really gay spider,' said Magnus, and he yelled as Alec punched him in the arm. 'Ow, okay, never mind.”

06/03/2012 page 1
0.0% "Oh, I am so ready for you, CoLS. COME AT ME! "
06/03/2012 page 47
9.0% "AAAHHH Will from TID was mentioned again! xD"
06/03/2012 page 169
31.0% "Aaaaand done with part one! (Haha, that rhymes. Um. Yeah. I'm sleepy, okay?)"
06/05/2012 page 324
60.0% "Holy freakin' crap, what kind of a club is this?!"
06/05/2012 page 445
82.0% "Oh my gosh, I just realized something! Sebastian is a lot like Klaus, from the show The Vampire Diaries. Sebastian and Jace, Klaus and Stefan? Eh? EH?? Okay, shutting up now."
06/05/2012 page 453
84.0% "=O Forget what I said earlier about Sebastian being similar to Klaus. I actually liked Klaus at some parts. But what Sebastian just did now? OMG YOU FREAK!"
show 1 hidden update…

Katline ~Oh my goodness. The cover is so beautiful.~

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Katline wrote: "~Oh my goodness. The cover is so beautiful.~"

Yes, it is. Sort of looks like a movie poster to me. I can't wait to put it on my shelf and show it off to everyone!

Katline ~Ah me 2, i have all the other books on my shelves.~

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I, unfortunetly, don't own the first two books >.< But I will get them! Someday. Hopefully.

Katline ~I hope u do 2.~ :)

Hermione Okay, so that gif is really creepy. It's like a kpop version of Lady Gaga with ketchup in her hair.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj LOL G-Dragon IS creepy. But in an epic way xD

message 8: by Hermione (last edited Jun 03, 2012 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione Oh, crap, that's G-Dragon? Hell, I totally didn't recognize him. Though his eyes should give him away.

Love his tux, btw!

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj The gif is from Big Bang's "Fantastic Baby" music video! Don't tell me you haven't seen it.

Hermione ... I haven't seen it, OTL. xD

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj 0.0
...
I demand you go watch it now, woman!

Hermione Okay, so, danggggg! :O I love the music video, even if it is sorta creepy (in a fantastic way! /haha, see what I did there? xD).
I think I especially loved T.O.P in this. And Taeyang.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Wasn't it totally awesome?! (LOL, yup, I saw what you did there! xD) I think this was one of Big Bang's best songs ever!

They all looked so damn hot! I loved TOP and GD's hair - HAHA and Taeyang! Did you know people compared his hair to a broom?

Hermione I also love GD's single "Heartbreaker." And I love BIGBANG's "Haru Haru" song, too. Dude, I think they are the kings of kpop rap. They rap so awesomely, and usually I hate rap! American ones, anyway.

TOP'S hair was beast!! Totally adored it. I love his whole American army outfit, too.
LOL wow ... now that I think about it, it does look kinda like a broom. Oh, did I mention I love Taeyang's single "Wedding Dress"? /squeal Even though that's old, I still listen to it from time to time!

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I know, right?! I was never really into music that much before, but once I discovered Big Bang, I became a die hard fan right away. I swear, it's impossible for them to make a bad song!

OMG I LOVE TAEYANG! I'm like his biggest fangirl. I even bought his album. The instrumental of Wedding Dress is actually the ringtone on my phone xD

Have you heard their new album, Alive? I'm in love with the song "Bad Boy"! They also recently released a new music video, "Monster".

Hermione LOL, lucky! My parents don't support me listening to anything that I don't understand. They don't get it, I guess. And how should I explain this? I don't really care about the lyrics (sometimes), but usually the music is awesome and the voices are really good, too. I don't get what they're saying, but somehow it's soothing with the tone of their language and the background music. I love the sound of Korean words.

And recently, I've just stopped listening to music, haha. I used to be a die-hard fan of a lot of kpop groups: dbsk, bigbang, ss501, snsd, etc etc. But lately, I'm not all that interested. I find myself even thinking, 'Honestly, idc.'

With that said, no, I have not heard of "Alive," "Bad Boy," and "Monster." xD

message 17: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 03, 2012 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I know what you mean. My parents actually don't even know I listen to kpop or watch asian dramas. They've seen me watching some, but they don't know that it's a hobby. But if they did find out I listen to kpop, they'd be like "Why are you listeningto this nonsense? You don't even understand them!". Yup, they just don't get it. As well as some of my friends who don't listen to kpop. I also don't care much about the lyrics (as long as they're not too dirty or offensive or anything like that), but after listening to kpop for so long, it doesn't even sound foreign to me.

And you should totally check out Big Bang's new songs/music videos! There are also a lot of good songs from other groups as well. If you want to =D

Amina OMIGOD AROOJ!! I JUST FINISHED THIS TOOO..O_O. I think I've died as well...

message 19: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I'm still dead. GAH!

Hermione D: you lucky duckies!

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj It's ok Afza, you'll read it soon. And the wait will be worth it. =D

Hermione I certainly hope so. After reading so many reviews, my expectations are really high (mostly because they say Clary really steps it up and it's really dramatic). I'd hate for them to fall, but I don't think they will! Hopefully.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj *crosses fingers* Here's hoping you like it! And when you're done, we shall commence our spazzing.

message 24: by Hermione (last edited Jun 06, 2012 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione yes yes yes yes.
but you must promise you'll spazz with me D: even if I get the book when I'm like, 92.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj However long it takes, I promise we'll spazz together. I'll even put on my fangirl hat for extreme spazzage.

Hermione Lucky you. I only have a thinking cap. D:

But I bet I could make one. Get a random, white cap, dye it pink, glue sequins and pink cotton balls on it, and sow 'Fangirl' at the front with thread. In pink. xD

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Oooooh don't forget the feathers! And stick a bookmark in your pocket, like a sword. Us bookworms need to be prepared, ya know.

Hermione Feathers, right! Who can survive without them sexy feathers?

True that, my man. True that.

Amina LMAO wow you guys are so funny! xD

Why can't you get it Afza??

Hermione lol, what can I say? I'm a born comedian. /shameless humility
Just kidding.

Well, I can and my library actually has it for an eBook, so I can download it onto my iPod, but I really really really don't want to read it like that! I have the book on hold, but I'm number 7 right now.
I just love holding books. Much better than ebooks. So I'm just waiting for the day the book will be mine ~

/looks longingly at the full moon

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I feel your pain, Afza. I only buy like 2 books per month and get the rest from the library. 95% of the books I read are borrowed (Yes, I actually calculated it).

I can totally lend you my copy if you want! I don't mind =D

Amina LOL XD

Aah I see, oh I completely understand!! Yano I'm in England Yah, and there aint much of a reading culture here as in America so most of my books are ebooks cus they hardly have any of the ones I want in my libraries. It's so annoying.

I bought the book but cus Im so used to ebook well I got the ebook as welll. Crazy...

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I only do ebooks when I can't find a physical copy anywhere. But I'm not really a fan of them. Plus, my iPod's batteries gets drained too fast.

message 34: by Hermione (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione Arooj: That would be so cool. I'm too cheap to cover the shipping costs, lol But no worries, it's fine! Patience is a virtue, and good things come to those who wait. I'll learn patience this way, OTL. And it'll be so much more worth it once I've agonized over it.

@Amina: I've always wanted to visit England again! I love it there! Do you have a British accent? I can impersonate one really well. I think.
Anyway, yeah, I've noticed. Not a lot of books that are published here are published there. And especially giveaways -- usually it's only available in the US (which makes me glad I live here!) and there are rare times I see giveaways in Canada, too, but not really international.

Amina I read on my phone but Yah i have the same problem -_- but I'm getting an ereader for after exams :))

Hermione That's good. And the Amazon Kindle Fire is really good, too. I had it for a while before my mother wanted it returned, but the quality is really good!

In America, it's $200.

But omg, I can't believe the Fire isn't available in the UK! This is blasphemy! :O

message 37: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ok Afza, but I'm here if you want the book!

And I love England! I can do a smexy British accent. At least, that's what I think. I bet I sound like an idiot to others.

Aw, that sucks Amina! I wish other countries would pay more attention to YA literature.

Hermione I'll keep that in mind, haha. But it's going good. I've been bumped up to position 5. :D

Me, too. Sometimes I wish I could go to a new school and start speaking British so people'll think I'm from Britain! That would rock.

Agreed. US/Canada have a pretty good supply of YA-ness.

Oh, that sounds wrong. Try just saying A-ness. xD My bad.

message 39: by Amina (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amina LMAO oh guys, England ain't that amazing...YOU LIVE IN AMERICA!! Need i go on? And i suppose I do, its a bit Irish tho, cus Thats where I was born ajd used to live. And i would love to hear you smexy British accent Arooj I'm sure its amazing ;)

And I know!! It sucks. I mean the book stores have everything sure, but not the libraries. And I dont want to waste my money!! *sighs*

What, we dobt sell the Fire!? UGH!! I really want a nook, but I don't think they are available here either -_-

You'd be surprised, a lit of European countries read lots of books. Namely Greece...

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ooh Greece, really? Good thing, because I really want to visit there one day!

And my British accent? Just hearing me say "water" will make people melt into a puddle! (LOLOL I'm so lame XD)

I just said YA-ness out loud. My sister heard it. Yeah, not a good idea.

message 41: by Hermione (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione America isn't that amazing, either! Gosh, I swear, people think the US has benches made of gold and books made of expensive $100 each page paper or something. xD It doesn't; America is just like any other country out there. Except ... its economy is down. xD

I just checked UK's Amazon site and it doesn't sell the Fire. It sells Kindles, but not the Fire. ): If you have a B&N in England, I'm sure you have the Nook, too. :P

Greece? o.o Wow, would've never expected that!

AND OMG THIS IS GREAT! MY LOCAL B&N IS SELLING COLS FOR ONLY $10.98! Which is pretty cheap, since the book is selling like, $20-$25 elsewhere. :DDD I'm excited; I may be able to get it early.

message 42: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 06, 2012 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I'm actually jealous because books cost a lot less in America than here in Canada. Meh.

YAYAYAY! Wow, that is cheap.

Amina LMFAO!! guys you make me laugh!! My attempt at and American accents is appaling, I'm terrible at accents.

Lol oh god we say water so differently!! When my friend went America she asked for bottle of water, but the guy at the counter couldn't understand..

And WTH America has everything!! All the celebs and authors and SHOPS OMIGOD the shops!! And youve got places like LA and NEW YORK!! You've got nothing to complain about!

Amina OMIGOD that's so cheap!! That's like £5!! I bout mine for £20 which is like almost $30 -_-

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj LOL water bottle! xP

I want to go on a book shopping spree one day. Isn't there this bookstore in New York that's considered the biggest bookstore in America?

message 47: by Hermione (last edited Jun 06, 2012 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione Actually, yes. There's a B&N and a bookstore called The Strand that has well over ... well, a lot of books. Somewhere in the Guinness Book of World Records, it's recorded that there's a bookstore in NY as the largest in the world, but I don't know which one, concerning that there's a lot of them in NY. xD

And yeah, books are cheaper here. And I really want the collector's edition of CoLS that is signed by Cassandra Clare, but it's $45. /crycry

I've visited NY when I like three, so I don't remember anything at all. OTL I haven't ever been to LA, and you'd be surprised how much the media exaggerates popular cities (such as LA and NY.)

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yeah! That's the name, The Strand! I knew the name of the biggest bookstore in the world, but I forgot. I visited NY a loooong time ago, when I was like 9, but I really want to go again.

Damn, $45 for a signed CoLS Collectors edition? That's...a lot. If only I was rich *sigh*.

Hermione I know. D: One day, we booknerds will rule ... One day ....

message 50: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yes, we will. Until then, we must get ready and gather our forces. Mwahahaha!

(Now I just sound creepy >.<.)

« previous 1