Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > The Mind Readers

The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton

Cam is your typical small-town girl living in Maine, but she has a dark secret. She can read minds. Trained from a young age to shove her gift aside rather than draw attention, Cam knows she can never use her gift to help people in danger - even if she desperately wants to. Then, unbeknown to Cam, she discovers other mind readers and the possibility to be herself for the first time in her life. There's only one problem. Cam is powerful, and perhaps more powerful than any of the other mind readers. Is she finally finding acceptance, or is she being used?

I've never read anything by Lori Brighton before, but I know she's a fairly prominent adult author, so I figured I would check this one out when the author sent eARC to me. The Mind Readers is a fast-paced paranormal story blending romance, intrigue, and a secret dangerous threat that fuels the story throughout. With strong dialogue and a balance of descriptiveness, strong characterization and clear plot points, The Mind Readers easily sends the reader on a journey into a world within the story.

I have to say that while I enjoyed The Mind Readers, I had a really difficult time with Cam at first. She has this incredible gift with amazing power, and she seemed so...whiny...and annoying. However, she began to progress through the story, and she grew as a character, becoming strong and more self-aware. Lewis, one of the secondary characters and the love interest, is a character I would love to meet. (Seriously. Can I meet him?) He's sweet, well-rounded, and the perfect balance to offset Cam's personality and keep things balanced. Some of the other secondary characters, namely Annabeth, threw things off for me though, which made things a little bit more difficult.

All in all, The Mind Readers is a fast-paced and intriguing story, despite the few flaws that irked me. I give it a very strong 3.5 out of 5, and I'd recommend it to all those who enjoy Lori Brighton's writing and the YA genre, especially those who enjoy paranormal romance stories.

I received this eARC free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind Readers.