Mary Kate's Reviews > Thornspell

Thornspell by Helen Lowe

Jun 09, 2011

bookshelves: cover-love, fantasy-ish, ya, fairytale-retelling

(My rating is 4.5 stars.)

In her debut novel, author Helen Lowe gives us an absorbing and utterly entertaining re-telling of Sleeping Beauty - told from the prince's point of view.

The inside flap (lovely cover art by Antonio Javier Caparo!) of Thornspell talks of enchantments and spells, dragons and knights, of dreams and danger and a mysterious girl trapped in thorns. Lowe delivers on every front.

Though I thought Thornspell was a bit slow in places, I love what Lowe did with this classic tale and how she created a world with its own history, a world with secrets and surprises. When I finished Thornspell, I closed the book, touched the back cover and smiled, satisfied and happy. And then I started hoping she would write more stories set in this same world because there was so much more I wanted to know!

Thornspell is a young adult book with the ability to appeal to adults who like a well told story with wonderful characterizations. For me, this has become the definitive version of Sleeping Beauty and I've enjoyed sharing it with a number of friends. I look forward to more from this new author.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thornspell.