Wendy's Reviews > Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

May 23, 07

bookshelves: damngoodread
Read in January, 1993

According to family lore, my brother gave this book to my father when he - my brother - was in college. When my father read it, it apparently made a very deep impression on him, 'cuz he turned around and bought 4 copies and gave one to each of his children.

I refused to read it for years because...well...because my father gave it to me. Sometime after college though, I picked it up and read it for the first time and, for the next 5 years, I read it once a year every June. Clearly, it made a very deep impression on me, too. Come to think of it, I should probably read it again this year...

I love the narrative of the father/son motorcycle trip across the plains. I LOVE the sub-narrative about Zen and Quality and Values. And I love the theme of integration - how it all comes together in the end.

Plus, it shed a little light onto my father's psyche and experience. He named his last sailboat "Chautauqua," for Pete's sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Hi Wendy,

Can you help me? I'm trying to find a passage that I remember from Z.A.M.M. but I read it ages ago & have no idea where in the book to look.
Do you remember the part where he was describing a student of his who said she couldn't think of what to write her paper on? He told her to go look at the front of a building and start by writing about one of the bricks, then go from there. She came back with something like 20 pages about one brick.
Does this sound at all familiar?
I'd be grateful for your help! thanks, Kat

Wendy Hi Kat,
Try chapter 16.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for.