Andy's Reviews > How Late It Was, How Late

Jan 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011, prize-winners
Recommended to Andy by: The Booker Prize
Read from November 28, 2010 to January 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Arghh, I've mixed feelings about this book. I started it a fair while ago flying back to the UK and it's really not an airplane book. I put it aside for a while, read a bunch of other books and then tried finishing it before the year ended. No such luck.

Sammy (as the blurb says) has had a bad week. That much is true. A lost drunken weekend, possible mugging, definite assult and sudden blindness. We meander through a short period of his life in a repetitive stream of consciousness that is intensely difficult to read at times, whip fast at others and almost always exhausting. I felt physically out of breath and tachycardic after racing through the final 100 pages in a grand effort to put it on my shelf and not worry about it any more. The scottish dialect it's written in is reminiscent of Trainspotting but this is a very different book.

The story as such doesn't really go anywhere. It's more about the journey and Sammy is an interesting conductor. Often funny, trying at times.

Truthfully I didn't really like this and probably wouldn't read it again. Winner of the Booker prize 1994.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Late It Was, How Late.