Lilith's Reviews > Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

F 50x66
Jan 28, 2008

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Women everywhere. And the occasional man.

This book saved my life. I was seriously struggling with an enormous amount of class-related stress, centered around a completely unsuspected attack on my creative potential. After a few months of being shredded mentally and creatively by the people I'd expected to lean on for support and physically by the demands of moving to a new country, I was at a horrible place, alternating between periods of blind rage and near suicidal depression, and for the first time in my life I was watching my ability to create dim and all but vanish. I had two weeks to pull together a film shoot with a script that I needed to edit and then direct, I knew no one, I had no idea what I was doing and felt like I was running into a brick wall with everyone but one of my tutors, a woman who I've subsequently given a copy of WWRWW (she loves it).

This book brought me through that time. My level of self-awareness as both a woman and a product of my culture has reached a new peak, and through Estés' writing I have made one of the most difficult and empowering decisions of my life. This is a book for anyone who has ever asked why, and then shushed themselves. This book is a loud, shameless 'prayer for the wild at heart still kept in cages' (thank you Tennessee Williams), and as it boldly refutes the constraints imposed upon a wild nature by propriety, society, and that nature itself it cannot help but resemble a tall glass of water in the middle of the desert. Buy this book. Read it. If it offends with cliché, force yourself to ignore it and take in the message anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women Who Run With the Wolves.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Waymire I admire your honesty and voice.

Ashley Kilback Beautifully said.

message 3: by Fatma (new) - added it

Fatma Wow I love your review- thank you for sharing with us. Will read the book!

Donna Llamas I read this book many years ago. It was extremely helpful to me as a woman suffering from a chronic illness. I sometimes felt like I didn't have the right to have a voice because I was imposing my illness on people in relationships. This book is phenomenal. I don't care how many therapists a woman may have been to, for any number of reasons, once you wrap your head around The insights this book supplies by using multicultural myths and folktales, you will find your self looking at life and your identity as what you should be, a powerful, self aware woman

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Mcardle spot on review . The Author, gives us it all , thank you for your honesty I also learnt from the book so I can relate with how you felt .