Kalli M.G.'s Reviews > First Test

First Test by Tamora Pierce

Jan 04, 11

Read in January, 2011

I was given the opportunity to read this book again, thanks to my boyfriend's sister. I have always been in love with Tamora Pierce's books ever since I was in middle school. I don't do reviews that much, so forgive me if this isn't as well-written as it could be. I need to brush up on this anyhow.

This book is about a girl named Keladry who had decided that she wanted to train into knighthood. Along the road, she deals with problems that she was alerted to before she even took a step in the castle- she would be given a more difficult time just because the page is a female. No one felt that she would make it past a certain time- the most common being past a week.

It was very well-written. Despite the time skipping in some areas (which wasn't too surprising) the pace flowed nicely. One could feel Kel's frustrations leaking off from the pages while also taking in her want to be just as better as everyone else. She took things in stride and is someone I could relate to. I can't imagine it being re-written any other way.

There was one flaw that did bother me- even if it was answered a bit while back. I have always wondered why the older pages never really did harass her as much as was mentioned around the beginning of the story. It was one of the moments I was looking forward to the most, honestly. There were some moments where she stood up for the other first year pages going against the older pages (like Joren) but I had still anticipated more. Perhaps I just love too much conflict in a story.

I don't know if I'll have time to finish the rest of the books, but if I have the chance to I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Test.