Alison's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Jan 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bought-because-of-the-cover, ya, wish-it-was-as-good-as-the-cover, trilogy, mope-fest, favourite-covers
Recommended for: 13 to 16 year olds, Fans of Twilight, Shiver, Fallen
Read from January 13 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy

"A muscle feathers the flesh of his jaw..." Um, what? I read a lot of books, so I tend to understand the descriptions an author may come up with. This particular description comes up twice in that exact quote and once more slightly altered. I still don't understand it completely.

Did Sophie Jordan mean that his jaw twitched minutely? Or that he had a hidden smile? And why am I so hung up on the one sentence?

Okay, I will move on. The writing was nice, the love interest was nice, the tension was nice. Notice a common trend? It was just nice. This isn't a book my thoughts are going to keep coming back to. Even with the cliffhanger ending, I don't feel the need to find out what will happen next.

And Cassian... I don't understand him at all. He wants Jacinda, he wants to protect Jacinda, yet he refuses to listen to her. He's the reason the ending of the book happened the way it did. (Okay, Jacinda is partly to blame too. But so is Tamra and even Will to an extent.)

The weird part is how fast I read it, despite the lack of awesome it had. It took me a day and a bit to finish it. So I have to hand it to Ms. Jordan, she did write a book I didn't want to put down or chuck across the room. She just didn't deliver a book that I want to recommend to my friends or family.

When the sequel comes out, I'll probably buy it because I hate not having all the books in a series. I just hope it doesn't end on as big of a cliffhanger as this one did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

01/13/2011 page 234