Sadie Janes's Reviews > That Summer

That Summer by Sarah Dessen

3581913
May 20, 13

That Summer wasn't my favorite Dessen novel. Most of her books are pretty life changing, and I lay awake just thinking about them for several nights in a row. This book wasn't like that. I suppose it was enjoyable, and the main character was kind of relatable, but a lot of things really bugged me.

A million things are happening around Haven and too her family, but she kind of does nothing thoughout the book, besides freaking out and throwing a show at some lady and bolting. I just felt like the book lacked a certain fire that usually keeps me turning the pages of a Dessen book. Now that I know that this was a first novel, it makes more sense that it didn't live up to the expectations I've set for Sarah Dessen books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Summer.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Angela Oliver I felt exactly the same. It's the sixth Dessen book I've read.

Maria Zarif It's actually my 3rd book I have read from Dessen's. And I can't help but say that 3 stars is too much for this book.

Annabel I have read every single book Dessen has made and each one, as you said, keeps me awake at night just thinking about it. Yet this one was by far the worst of Sarah's creations. Your review took the words right out of my mouth.

Kohila Ganesan Yes. She does nothing to her father's remarriage and things like that.