SJ's Reviews > White Fang

White Fang by Jack London

Feb 23, 11

Read in January, 2011

As a child, this book was certainly a favorite. I have a much loved and worn abridged copy that I will always cherish. As an adult, at times I struggled with it. The beginning of the book was as exciting and nail biting a tale as any movie on the big screen right now. The pace and fear for the characters were very real. The book slowed down considerably for me later. There were times when I winced at some of the racist undertones, and I felt manipulated at times by the way that London bends you to his own personal philosophies. Yet, there is something to be said for his intent, which appears to say that no matter who we are when we are born, we have the capacity to change for the better. It is not until the 70 percent mark of the story that the author gives the main character a break and lets this shift happen, leaving the author feeling uncomfortable for the majority of the book. I'm not certain how accurate a lot of the explanations of the normal behavior of dogs and wolves really is either, but I suspect inaccurate information is presented. Still, I have a soft spot for it and probably always will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Fang.