Nina's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Apr 08, 2011

Read from April 07 to 08, 2011

Matched is one of many dystopian YA novels I have read lately, but it definitely manages to stand out from the rest. The story is set in a world where The Society decides everything from how fast you can run on the treadmill, to who you will marry, to when you will die. We don't get much of an explanation as to how this system developed, but the purpose seems to be that if everyone wears the same clothes and eat the same food, and nobody has anything more than anyone else, people won't have a reason to be jealous of each other. Differences lead to war, so they have removed all differences. It's hard to imagine living in a world where you're never allowed to make your own decisions, but if that's all you've ever known, would you just accept the situation or would you long for something more?

The main character Cassia has never questioned the ways of The Society, but throughout this novel she starts seeing everything in a different light. She goes through some pretty big changes, and it was very easy for me to relate to Cassia and the choices she has to take. Will she risk everything she's used to, or choose what's familiar and safe?

Matched is so much more than just another dystopian YA novel. It is a beautiful love story, a great tale of how difficult it can be to tell right from wrong, about the choices you have to make, and the consequences those choices will have on both you and others. I cried, I laughed, I cursed some characters while I fell in love with others, and when I had read the last page I was left with a feeling of hope. My only complaint about Matched is that it is very slow paced, and any scenes with action are over almost before they've begun. Still, it is one of the better YA love stories I have read this year.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Micheline I think one of the best parts of the book for me was indeed Cassia's transformation. I really liked Matched too and I enjoyed your review :)

Kaitlyn Has anyone realized that there are three books. The first one is green the second blue and the third red. This society had three pills they take. One green. One blue. And one red.