Morgan F's Reviews > The Education of Hailey Kendrick

The Education of Hailey Kendrick by Eileen Cook

Hailey Kendrick has a seemingly perfect life. She gets good grades, is Vice President of her class at a prestigious boarding school, and her boyfriend is one of the most popular guys at school. She is the type that always colors in between the lines. But after an argument with a father leaves her angry and upset, she commits a random act of vandalism with an unlikely conspirator. She is caught, but her co-conspirator is not, and she finds herself taking the fall. As a punishment, she is forced to do janitorial service with a snarky townie, and the whole entire school is put on probation. Hailey has no choice but to watch her life change, as her boyfriend and her grow farther apart, her friends ignore her, and she loses the trusts of her teachers. Hailey is forced to begin coloring outside the lines if she wants to stay true to who she is.

God help me, I really liked this book. I do not like books like these. I hate cutesy books with their morals and their predictability and their cheesiness. I should have hated this one too. But the thing is.....I didn't....Am I turning into a sap or what?!

I blame it on the novel's charm. Yes, it was predictable and slightly cheesy, but it kept my glued to the pages. Honestly, I don't what adhesive got me stuck there, but it sure did work. Hailey was likable and at times, quite hilarious. She was awkward in all the right ways. I actually cringed for her, like the time she fell down the stairs. That would sooo happen to me. Right when she was trying to make a silent exit too *shakes head in laughter* Hailey was a relatable character, I think I mean to say. Also, her relationship with Drew was so cute! But not cheek-pinching cute. *glares at Arlene*

At the end of the book, I was actually grinning. GRINNING. My God! The cuteness, the humor, the sweetness had me looking like the Cheshire Cat!

[image error]

I'm going soft! Quick, someone tell a dead baby joke!

Overall, I did like this book. Quite a bit, actually. I read one Cook previously (Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood), and I enjoyed as well, although not as much. In these two books, I can sense a formula. She takes a well known novel (In this case, The Scarlet Letter), gives it a modern day makeover, and infuses it with DIsney charm. And for some reason, it all works.

If anyone calls me soft after this, I shall stab them with a fork.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Education of Hailey Kendrick.

02/11/2011 page 75
28.0% "Is this book supposed to be a tribute to The Scarlet Letter?"
02/12/2011 page 156
57.0% "I'm actually into it."

message 1: by Nomes (new)

Nomes haha. LOVE this review!

I have read one of her other books (What Would Emma Do?) and had the same Cheshire grin on my face as well (despite some of the in-credulousness of the plot) it was a fun read.

I'm adding this to my wishlist :)

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I am sooooo reading this book! *pinches Morgan's cheeks*

I think this was Street Corner Sap Week. LOL

I LOVED you review!!! :D

Morgan F Arlene wrote: "I am sooooo reading this book! *pinches Morgan's cheeks*

I think this was Street Corner Sap Week. LOL

I LOVED you review!!! :D"

*fork stab*

message 4: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic *gasps* You liked a cute book! Are you feeling okay ;)

Great review. Adding to my wishlist :)

Morgan F I don't know. It was my time of the month when I read it.....maybe its just a fluke.

message 6: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LMAO!!!