Kristopher's Reviews > The Valley of Fear

The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: crime, detective, phd-reading-list, 19th-century-novel
Read in January, 2011

I have come to enjoy A. Conan Doyle's odd construction of "A Study in Scarlet" and this book. I think I like "Valley of Fear" even more for its bifurcated country-house mystery and rough-and-tumble American gangsterism. For all its British condescension, "Valley of Fear" looks forward to the rise of 20th-century American crime writing (especially in its inclusion of a Pinkerton agent!). I'll be teaching this book in the spring and I can't wait. I have in my possession from Netflix right now the 1970 film "The Molly Maguires," starring Sean Connery and Richard Harris. The movie is based on the true-story events that likewise inspired Arthur Conan Doyle's last Holmes novel. I highly recommend this book for its historical value, and for its odd literary merit. Sherlock Holmes never gets old.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valley of Fear.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwen (new)

Gwen Great review! My book came in from LPB--but no autograph from Dr. Mecholsky!!! I've been gypped. So how was the Sean Connery film?

Kristopher They SHOULD have asked me to autograph them! I'm sure sales would have soared. Read the stories and novels in order if you can! It's a fascinating growth.

I haven't watched the film yet! I think it's on my list for today.

When shall we three meet again? In thunder, lightening, or in rain? In other words, when are your next Shakespeare readings?

message 3: by Gwen (new)

Gwen Third Sundays--this one on the 16th. It's Richard the III. I've a wedding this weekend but stay after me. We said January and I mean it to be!!