Wendi's Reviews > The Story of My Life

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

Jan 04, 11

Read in January, 2011

If you've read any of my other reviews, you will always know what season I'm in if I start out saying that I didn't so much as read this book as I listened to it on audio. I did a search online for free audiobooks because the audiobooks I put on hold at my local library weren't ready to be picked up yet.

I was enthralled with the idea of listening to The Story of My Life, recorded by a volunteer with a nice voice (albeit, the audio was goofy periodically). http://freeclassicaudiobooks.com/audi...

From Goodreads: In a memorable passage, Keller writes of the day "Teacher" led her to a stream and repeatedly spelled out the letters w-a-t-e-r on one of her hands while pouring water over the other. This method proved a revelation: "That living world awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free! There were barriers still, it is true, but barriers that could in time be swept away."

This is Helen's story of her life; her take on the world around her. Helen is just amazing. It's hard to believe that she was a deaf and blind woman who had to re-learn how to speak and became an international traveler and met with Alexander Graham Bell and poets and writers. Her descriptions of life around her are unreal when you consider that she could neither see nor hear the events. She credits details to her teacher, Anne Sullivan, and others willing to take the time to give Helen the minutest detail about what she was experiencing.

She mentions reading lips. She means reading lips! Placing her hands on someone's face and feeling a person's words form on their lips. Some people did well, but not everyone.

It's a fascinating autobiography. I personally have been interested in Helen's life since I was a little girl. My dad got us a version of The Miracle Worker (on betamax!!). I was just shocked by it! In college, my friends Melissa played Helen and Becca played Anne so well that at the end of the production I was in tears.

Helen's an amazing woman. She even acknowledges that she was a bit of brat as a child, confirming the breaking of the doll her teacher brought her when she first moved in with the family in Alabama. She said it gave her great satisfaction to do that; play with it awhile and then just smash it to pieces. She was a spoiled child. Luckily, her teacher set her straight.

Excellent read (or listen!). Pick it up if you're into memoirs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of My Life.