Sarah's Reviews > The Mighty Queens of Freeville: A Mother, a Daughter, and the People Who Raised Them

The Mighty Queens of Freeville by Amy Dickinson

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011, memoirs
Read in January, 2011

A friend of mine asked me recently what was up with all of the memoirs--perhaps they're tied to our voyeuristic obsession with reality television? We just can't get enough of the lives of others? Regardless, this seems to be the era of the memoirs, and The Mighty Queens of Freeville is Amy Dickinson's ("Ask Amy") story of raising her daughter as a single mother. Amy Dickinson comes from a family of strong women who share one unlucky trait: They've all been left by men. Dickinson divorces when her daughter, Emily, is a toddler, and raises her alone as she serendipitously moves from writing freelance articles to writing her own column to filling the void left by the death of America's beloved Ann Landers.

What's refreshing about this memoir is the tone. It isn't a bitter tale of divorce or lost love, but an uplifting tale of the power of family and inner strength. Dickinson remains cordial with her ex-husband and is able to raise an independent young woman while enjoying personal success and fulfillment as a writer. The story is not without it's tearful moments (namely the loss of the family cat), but overall, Dickinson's tone is light and carefree. As the book concludes, Dickinson has even found love. It's a heartwarming ending that offers hope and suggests that love will find us eventually, even if it doesn't come as quickly as we'd like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mighty Queens of Freeville.