Drebbles's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in January, 2011

Jason can’t remember anything about his past – he woke up with his memory erased on a school bus full of kids on a school trip. Leo has been considered a troublemaker ever since his mother died – and people don’t even know he can create fire with his bare hands. Piper is considered to be a thief yet her biggest concern is her missing father. These three teens have different problems but are good friends, even more so when they arrive at Camp Half Blood. That friendship will be challenged more than once as the three embark on a dangerous quest – will it and they survive?

I really enjoyed Rick Riordan’s “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series – so much so that I almost didn’t read “The Lost Hero” thinking it wouldn’t be as good as the books in the Percy Jackson series, but I was wrong. “The Lost Hero” is even better than the Percy Jackson books. While the book does have some similarities to the Percy Jackson series – because it takes place at Camp Half Blood some of the Jackson characters are there, notably Chiron, Thalia, and Annabeth – and the three main characters, like the Jackson characters, are two boys and a girl. But “The Lost Hero” stands alone on its own merit, and I found I liked it even better than the Percy Jackson books. Jason, Leo, and Piper are older than Percy and friends and consequently are stronger characters. Each of them has secrets (even Jason although he can’t remember them) and each are torn apart inside by those secrets. Leo’s secret may be the saddest and in many ways he was my favorite character – funny yet poignant at times. While mythology plays an important role in both series (Jason, Leo, and Piper are demi-gods – children of gods), Riordan kicks it up a notch in this book. There is plenty of suspense in this book, quite a bit of danger, and some truly epic battles. All of this adds up to some rip-roaring fun.

“The Lost Hero” is an exciting start to Rick Riordan’s “The Heroes of Olympus” series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.