Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Undertow

Undertow by Cherry Adair

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: contemporary
Read from January 13 to 16, 2011

Favorite Quote: “I know I scare you.” His breath tickled her cheek as he whispered softly into her ear. “But, know what, Williams? You scare me a little bit, too.”

Zane Cutter is charming, witty, sexy, and great at his job treasure hunting shipwrecks in the Caribbean ocean – and he knows it. Maybe a little cocky, but also very friendly and warm to everyone he meets. So when he meets his new master marine mechanic, Teal Williams, he has a challenge. Teal is stubborn, in her oversized clothing with her bad hair cut. She doesn’t want to work for him, saying yes only because his brother and her dying father asked her to be here. She would much rather stay on dry land, where her severe seasickness won’t bother her and where she can stay far away from Zane.

She has known Zane for much of her life, even sharing a passionate night with him, although he was completely drunk and doesn’t remember. But she does. She has great affection for him, but she also has just come out of a verbally abusive marriage and she has zero self-confidence. That on top of extreme shyness, she uses sharp verbal comebacks as her only line of defense to keep others away.

But she may have met her match with Zane. She somehow finds herself on his rusty ship, The Decrepit, battling nausea while doing what she loves, fixing the engines. The ship may be rusty, but Zane is a pro at what he does and has finally after four years, found the Dutch shipwreck he has been searching for. He knows there are emeralds the size of his fist down below. It is not just the money but the thrill of the dive that drives Zane in life.

Zane has more than just the challenge of uncovering treasure in the ocean. He also must find a way to break through Teal’s hard exterior, as his attraction builds. Life isn’t all fun and games though – someone else is after his treasure.

Undertow is the start of a new series by Cherry Adair about the Cutter brothers and their quest to find sunken treasure. This book is really fun. Zane is so flirty and sexy – paired up with the very prickly Teal – the chemistry is really fun to watch play out. Teal gives it back to him so good – making him keep his distance for most of the first half of the book. But Zane slowly wears her down with his expert kisses, making for some really great sexual tension.

With an abusive marriage behind her, Teal has a lot to overcome. She also has a terminally ill father and she has a very rocky relationship with him. All of this paired with the fact that she wants Zane, but she doesn’t know how to act on her feelings makes her a very interesting character. I really like how her attitude and insecurities are not rushed. Cherry Adair explores Teal and doesn’t immediately throw her into Zane’s bed. Of course once they get there, it is very sexy times indeed.

There is also a lot of suspense in this book. I enjoyed the antics and the mystery and action surrounding this treasure. Towards the end, a new suspense part is introduced which did seem a bit of an overkill. I could have done without it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book being set out in the ocean, with sexy men and stubborn heroines, diving for treasure. I am really looking forward to the next book.

Rating: B

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undertow.

01/15/2011 page 100
30.0% "Really enjoying so far!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH This sounds like something I'd enjoy. Great review, Mandi.