Katie's Reviews > Willie Nelson: An Epic Life

Willie Nelson by Joe Nick Patoski

Feb 22, 11

Read from January 04 to February 22, 2011

Finished. Finally. I wanted to love this book because I love Willie, and there were a number of gems of stories in this 500-pager. But the writing got in the way of my utter enjoyment. I can only describe it as disheveled. Ostensibly written chronologically, the stories jumped around in time. Characters would appear, disappear, and reappear suddenly with completely changed circumstances (divorced several times, dead, etc.). Lots of minute detail put into the less-than-interesting story lines (long lists of names) and then very little detail or lead up to climatic parts of Willie’s life (marriages and divorces, children born, records made, IRS woes). All sorts of folks were interviewed for the book and their comments were not spliced together in the smoothest way. Think this is the challenge of taking a journalistic approach to a biography and then wanting to cram in all of the information you gathered.

All this to say, if you’re a Willie fan, you’ll come out with a much better understanding of him from reading this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willie Nelson.