Megan's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, adult, fiction, history, rbrs, romance, steampunk, borrowed
Read from February 05 to 12, 2011

Okay, so I liked some parts of this book:

* The sea battle at the end
* The kraken (in concept, not so much in the scene's execution)
* The mech the Blacksmith had at the end
* The interesting concept of the bugs and machinery grafting

But ultimately I had too many problems with the creepy romance to really enjoy this. I thought the Iron Duke was really, really creepy. I mean, he seriously wigged me out in every page he was on, especially the way he jumped from possessive to sensitive to protective while always remaining CREEPY. There were some interesting background characters that could have been given more screen time if this wasn't a romance, shoved away in favor of the creepy rape-y dude, and I didn't like that.

I think the book itself was kind of hypocritical. Several characters point out that Mina is perfectly capable of handling herself, and has years of support from family and friends who love her, as well as an armed guard, armor, and opium darts, but the book seems to be trying to make the point that she also needs a man, despite her perfectly legitimate hangups about sex and relationships.

My other difficulty with the book was in all the names and political intrigue. I stopped paying attention to who people were at about the fifth name, and I am no good with politics and conspiracies and stuff like that, so I ended up skimming over all of those parts. Which left me with the rape and the kraken, I guess.

And UGH UGH UGH on the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

02/08/2011 page 33
9.0% "Yes, I get it, your mother burns candles."
02/08/2011 page 70
18.0% "The Duke is creeping me out."
02/09/2011 page 115
30.0% "The Duke and inspector sitting in the airship actually seems kinda cute so far."
02/11/2011 page 219
58.0% ""I don't think a gentleman takes anything at all." Why aren't you listening to yourself??"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I hope so too! I'm still at the beginning and having trouble feeling connected to it. :/

Caris That kraken fucking sucked! How wimpy can a sea monster possibly be? And all of that dumbass "I wouldn't ever force you..." shit almost always followed by "I didn't meant to force you..." Ugh, indeed. I'm getting annoyed by it all over again.

Megan I know! All of the creepy creatures (those cats, the zombies, the kraken) sucked.

I totally raised your hackles! Haha.

Caris The zombies should never have even been mentioned.

I put poop in your desk drawer! Haha.

Megan Oh dude, I am so glad you're leaving in a week!! Haha.

But yeah. The zombies. I groaned a little when I realized there were zombies. They were bad.

Caris It's like the twelve days of Christmas. My gifts get better each day! Haha.

Megan Yeah, I guess it was cool that she did that, but I was too busy being irritated with everyone else in that scene to appreciate her coolness :)

I love zombies, but I groaned when I realized they were in this book because I figured they were just going to be an annoying sideplot and not awesome like zombies should be.

Megan Maybe. I do like how pretty much the whole continent was zombies. That was cool.