Amy's Reviews > Next Generation Democracy: What the Open-Source Revolution Means for Power, Politics, and Change

Next Generation Democracy by Jared Duval

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, first-reads

In Next Generation Democracy, Duval makes a correlation between the open-source movement and the Millennial generations’ propensity for collaboration and grassroots advocacy – not a new idea by any means – and how these things are changing our expectations of government and policy.

The most interesting portions of the book deal with the history of the open source and free software movements and current actions being taken to make citizen communication with government more open and collaborative. But these portions, along with most of the book, are just a rehashing of work by previous authors.

Other topics touched on throughout the text include the wisdom of crowds, transparency and decentralization in organizations, crowdsourcing, grassroots advocacy, Millennials, and Hurricane Katrina, climate change, urban planning, etc. With so much going on in a short text, the book as a whole feels un-unified.

Overall, Next Generation Democracy is an attempt to inspire the reader into advocacy and civic participation, but it does not.

A side note: I received a free copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway which made me feel inclined to finish it. Otherwise, I won’t have read anything beyond the introduction in which the author makes very clear his personal and political agendas – while I appreciate his honesty, I was expecting something less one sided.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Next Generation Democracy.